Alocasia wentii Aline from Akamba

tropical-pete

Re: Alocasia wentii Aline from Akamba

Post by tropical-pete »

Blumin' 'Eck Dave, that palmbooster is working wonders!!! Shame I wasn't at the meet to get some :lol: 15 quid is a bit much for me really but I might ask for some as a late b.day pressie, would come in really useful.

Are you keeping that Portadora in the conservatory at the moment? I have mine outside, but yours looks much healthier, and the new leaves are a lovely dark green, whereas mine's looking a little more acid green.

Thanks, take care

Pete
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Pete, I have no proof, but plants fed with feed just seemed to grow well, when I mixed a small amount of palmbooster it seems to made them deeper green. My Ensete V and Sikki seedlings are also a much darker green than normal. :wink:

Musa Cavendish Super Dwarf is also growing like no tomorrow. Never seen it grow so fast..... a new leaf about every 5 days. It is just a coupl of inches shorter than me now... about 5ft 7in, so hoping for a flower soon. Fingers crossed. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

Well we went to Akamba last Saturday, and (obviously) I picked up one of these!! They had quite a few 15 quid ones left, and a load of the smaller ones!!!

Anyways, just wondering if anyone is going to try planting theirs out? Also, is anyone planting their Alocasia Portadora out this season?

Thanks, take care

Pete
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Pete, I tend not to plant out my only one of any type, However, I vaguely recall someone on the chatroom saying Wentii was one of the Alocasia that does not like cold temps, think is was Helen.... I am not intending to plant out the portadora this year as I have to create the space, and it will be a bit late to plant out then. I have planted out my A. odora as i have a few backups now. Also my A. macrorrhiza has produced a pup so I may try that next year. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

Both portadora and mac got planted out yesterday in the planter with the pond in.
I've no intentions of planting out the wentii I got from UJ last year as all its done is get smaller and smaller since I got it :roll:
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

OK thanks guys. Looks like the Wentii Aline will be a potter for the patio then, and I'll give the Portadora a chance planted out for the Summer.

Pete
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Well, I have relented and now that some warm weather has arrived, put the A. wentii Aline out. It is not planted, so when summer finishes it will come back in. It fits snugly under the chamaerops for shade from high sun.
240708 pics 004.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by MarkD »

You've done well with you Aline Dave :) Ours went backwards and it's only just starting to look good again :?
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Update: Our Alocasia wentii 'Aline' is about to flower
DSCF4503.JPG
It's tempting to snip it off as it will set back the plant but I'm curious on what it will look like. Looks like the spathe will be variegated too, same pattern as the leaves bom
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mark, mine has had several flowers and has not set it back much. The spathes were plain green on mine.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by MarkD »

Good to hear Dave :) The leaves on ours are smaller now than we first bought however it's not droopy anymore.