Alocasia x portora

derrick

Alocasia x portora

Post by derrick »

Portidora was a little slow the first year and the leaves went a little yellow .It was ok in hot spot with lots of water .I overwinter it in southfacing window in a small pot the roots have grown down into the water tray .This Alocasia seem to love lots water even in the home over winter im just learning
derrick

Re: Alocasia Portidora Portdora

Post by derrick »

How to get the size on it ?
Attachments
DSCF2236.JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Alocasia Portidora Portdora

Post by Dave Brown »

The major point you are making here, is that if you have a hot position to overwinter it, it will continue to grow, so can be watered. As most of us don't have a 'hot spot', it either sits there not doing much, or the roots rot right back to the rhizome and the plant goes dormant over winter. Sitting a stationary or dormant rhizome in water is a guaranteed rot scenario :ahhh!:

So, yes leave in water if you have a 'hot spot', if you don't, don't :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Alocasia x portora

Post by derrick »

Thats it Dave even in poor light as long as warm the year before it was in my living room nothing survive that room as poor light. Im going to order some more Alocasia this year i love the things Calidora & Odora
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I grow the calidora and odora derrick. They are great plants and I would not be without them. I dont have the x portora yet. This is on my want list a long with other alocasias. Yours looks fine and you have a new roller emerging I see so it is happy.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

portora has overwintered well for me this winter, far better than any colocasia. It did look like it was going dormant by late Feb/early March as it was in a very cool area of the house (10-15 degrees) so moved it to the green house where the extra light and daytime heat has really helped.
derrick

Post by derrick »

I think it was Calidora we had when i lived in Greece they had a good size trunk on them got to about 6feet tall .I lost a Alocasia Mac some years back to much water i think but Portidora you cant kill .But it did loose roots the first year in a cold spot
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My calidora stands at 3ft so far another leaf has just opened up. 3rd this year on the mother plant. My trunk is only about 5 inches. I can not wait till it gets massive. Dave browns is really impressive so is his x portora. :-)
Mul60

Post by Mul60 »

Hi,

Sorry about my english, i'm dutch.
I saw here in the forum the Alocasia x portora, can anybody tell me where I can buy a bulb/plant for to sent to Holland.

Kind regards Chris
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Lets see some updated pictures guys!! I second Mul60's question as they look like great plants icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mul60 wrote:Hi,

Sorry about my english, i'm dutch.
I saw here in the forum the Alocasia x portora, can anybody tell me where I can buy a bulb/plant for to sent to Holland.

Kind regards Chris
Hi Chris, and welcome icon_salut Your English is good :D

Amulree had quite a few of these when I was there 2 weeks ago. They were 5 ltr pots with good chunky plants about 50cm above the pot for £25. I think Simon does ship to Europe. :wink:

My big x portora rotted it's roots and went into dormancy in March due to having watered it in a warm spell then we went into a cold dull spell for about 8 weeks to mid May. The leaves had yellowed and stopped growing so I depotted it in May. The pic below is of a leafless, rootless rhizome on 16th May 2012
2012-05-16-19-05-58 Alocasia x portora rhizome.jpg
The rhizome was potted in a gritty, gravelly mix and put on a heated prop tray for 6 weeks to kickstart it. The pic below is just under 2 months later
2012-08-11-12-50-22 Alocasia x portora.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

Mine only small to Daves monster its been outside from april only had 2 leafs thinking about growing some Alocasia in my conservatory in the summer
Attachments
DSCF2931.JPG
DSCF2929.JPG
derrick

Post by derrick »

Picture looks a bit yellow it more the camera setting wrong me thinks it a night photo to much light
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Here in our tropical butterflygarden we have a very big A. x portora! A real monster. Well with a daily 30 C and good rich soil thats no surprize.

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alexander wrote:Here in our tropical butterflygarden we have a very big A. x portora! A real monster. Well with a daily 30 C and good rich soil thats no surprize.

Alexander
Any pics Alexander?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright