Alocasia x portora

Alexander

Re: Alocasia x portora

Post by Alexander »

Dave Brown wrote:
Alexander wrote:Here in our tropical butterflygarden we have a very big A. x portora! A real monster. Well with a daily 30 C and good rich soil thats no surprize.

Alexander
Any pics Alexander?
Yes,

I tried to place it but to big.

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alexander wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
Alexander wrote:Here in our tropical butterflygarden we have a very big A. x portora! A real monster. Well with a daily 30 C and good rich soil thats no surprize.

Alexander
Any pics Alexander?
Yes,

I tried to place it but to big.

Alexander
Sorry, we had to put limits on, as cameras mega pixels just create bigger and bigger files, but as the screen resolution is fixed at 72 dots per inch, 5.9mb of a 6mb file is wasted space (not viewable) on a PC screen. Virtually all of my images are around 100kb.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alocasia x portora has decided this is the year of the flower. It grew a couple of leaves then they went tiny, and flowering commenced in June. It has grown 3 flowers since then and a 4th is just starting to emerge. I think I can safely bet I won't get any big leaves this year now.
Attachments
2013-08-23 11-18-10 Alocasia x portora flower.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

Mines not done well 4 leaves it inside conservatory .Not grown much likes lots of water and heat i cant kill this plant can go dormant if dry sits in water in the house all winter but dont rot .
ourarka1

Alocasia x portora

Post by ourarka1 »

Just re-igniting this thread, as I'm trying to build my knowledge (and collection!) of Alocasia - one of my Alocasia x portora has been left out in a sheltered spot all winter (ok, brought it in for the sub-zero night), and looks pristine ... actually looks better than the one that is in the conservatory. I am finding them much easier to overwinter than Colocasias, which seem to get very grumpy, very quickly. Is Calidora similar?
Attachments
IMG_5806.jpg
Arlon Tishmarsh

Alocasia x portora

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

ourarka1 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:11 am Is Calidora similar?
Calidora is one of the better alocasia to grow imo . Brisbanensis is a joy , gets big quick and produces loads of pups. Borneo King is another favourite of mine, a hybrid of Borneo Giant and Odora. It was created by Brian Williams with the view to making the heat loving Borneo Giant easier to grow in cooler climates by introducing Odora into the mix.
ourarka1

Alocasia x portora

Post by ourarka1 »

I've also got quite a large Macrorrhiza .... thoughts on that?
GREVILLEAJ

Alocasia x portora

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Macrorrhiza needs more heat and therefore more water than X portora but performs very well if these needs are met. Oddly enough this does better for me in the UK with extra time in a greenhouse and brought out to a hot, sunny spot in the Summer than growing them in the Canaries where the dry air frequently induces a premature dormancy!