Colocasia gaoligongensis, one of the most hardy

Palmer

Colocasia gaoligongensis, one of the most hardy

Post by Palmer »

At last C.Non-Fallax has its true botanical name, C.Gaoligongensis, :D its a superb name for a superb plant, it is the hardyist Colocasia so far,the name is a bit long so for general use i think i will refer to it as C.Gaoligon :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think I have a couple of those too. A kind gentleman called Tony sent them to me, thanks Tony :lol: Have yours spent a winter outside yet? I take it the leaves die down like all Collies, but the regrowth will start much earlier.

Where do they dream these names up. :lol: How do you pronounce it "Jail-i-gong-ensis" as a Gaol is a type of prison isn't it. I'll post a pic later. They are currently nestling under my Washingonia.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Palmer »

All the credit goes to Chad for the name, :D isn't he a star, :wink: so far Dave they have survived -8 so don't worry about them to much,
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Here are mine. The problem is the Colocasia are more hardy then the palm they are sheltering under. :lol:
Attachments
181007 Colocasia gaoligongensis.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Palmer »

There looking good Dave :D but i must worn you there very prolific your shop will end up full of them. :lol:
Libby

Post by Libby »

Oh goodie :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Well that will suit me fine Tony. I can't help it... I try to propagate everything.... It's an addiction :roll:

I have 70 Chamaedorea radicalis seedlings from home grown seed :wink: I ended up with 112 Burgundy Stem in the end this year from Runner/Stolon cuttings. 19 Black Magic and 24 Fontanesii. It will be Mammoth next year :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Libby »

:lol: :lol: even better!!!
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

MESSAGE, your gaoligons-non-fallax are on there way sorry for the delay tonymusa.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Thanks Tony,can't wait for them to get here :D
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Hi Tony, the ones you gave me have produced lots of runners which eventually dive into the ground. At the point where they dive they start to swell and produce roots but as yet no shoots. Are they likely to do anything now or will I have to wiat for next year for new plants?

Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Hi Andy, for the first year the corms or bulbs at the end of the stolons will just fattern up under ground and will apear as plants next year....Tony
Mark

Post by Mark »

I am too scared to put mine out in case we get a cold one. Brrrr
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Mark, its always wise to build your stock up first, but they have survived -8, i know its hard to beleive for a Collie, but they really have. Given its hardiness and the fact its so prolific if it was ever released into the wild i think it could become a pest, all be it a pretty one
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tony I could never see it as a pest. I would be happy for it to ramble away in my borders