Colocasia gaoligongensis, one of the most hardy

Palmer

Re: Colocasia gaoligongensis, one of the most hardy

Post by Palmer »

No list I never mulched them, I wanted to know just how hardy this coli was… I guess that’s -10c without any protection! icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

well if we have to worry about weather like that again anytime soon we may as well pack it all in anyhoo. icon_thumright

i wonder how well they would do with mulch.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:well if we have to worry about weather like that again anytime soon we may as well pack it all in anyhoo. icon_thumright
Many parts of America get that every winter. They can't grow Dicksonia of Fatsia outside :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

i think i would pack it in if fatsia didn't survive outside
Bob

Post by Bob »

I've not seen mine flowering before in the three years I've had them or maybe I just haven't seen them. 8)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Bob wrote:I've not seen mine flowering before in the three years I've had them or maybe I just haven't seen them. 8)
The rhizomes have to get to flowering size which may take 2 or 3 years. Mine is just about to open a flower this year but none flowered until September last year. I think it was too dry :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

do you ever get seed/fruit?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:do you ever get seed/fruit?
Not so far, as never had two in flower at the same time.

Gaoli yesterday
Attachments
2012-07-26-16-07-26 Colocaisa gaoligongensis clump.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

is that one plant?
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Bob wrote:I've not seen mine flowering before in the three years I've had them or maybe I just haven't seen them. 8)
I didn't know they flowered like that . Something new to look out for icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:is that one plant?
It was about 3 years ago. The problem is the runners go so far, most pups would be in the lawn or pond
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

i remember you said that you plant aroids together to mimick the natural clumping but since you leave goalis out i wondered if it was just a single plant/clump.

seems to like a bit of shade for me, i think, maybe under taller plant protection was how its hardiness evolved.

is it best to leave runners where they are over winter or try to use them to prop new plants?
i think the shop bought plant i have will have some runners before winter.
will the little one i got from you be big enough to produce runners this year?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My experience, and that is very limited, is .....

- Runners have to ripen. Taken when fleshy and actively growing results in rotting, rather than rooting :roll:

- They ripen in the autumn for me, but if left on the plant the exposed ones get frosted and killed :roll: The underground ones can't be seen, but may survive giving a single new plant at the end, up to 8 ft (2.5M) away. :roll:

- Taken off the plant in autumn once ripened, they don't overwinter dry, instead just drying up and dying. :roll: Cut off and left in just moist compost overwinter, rotted them :roll:

The way I propped the pups I got going is a follows ......

- Take the runners off in late Autumn before the first frost.
- Divide in to nodes
- Dry the cuts for a day
- Place in a seed tray horizontally 2/3 buried in well drained compost
- Place the tray in a heated propogator
- Once sprouted pot up and keep in the prop to grow on over winter
- Additional light is required to get any growth, if they stop growing for any length of time when very small, rotting can occur :roll:
- They must not be allowed to dry out
- Once a couple of true leaves have grown they can be weened off the prop and just placed on a heat mat with overhead light.
- Due to an almost sunless March and April they were left on the heat mat with overnight daylight lighting, until early May.
In normal years I would have expected to stop heating and lighting in mid March, but this is the year without a spring here. :roll:

Dividing a clump after several years may give some plants, but no-where near as many :roll:

There are a lot of :roll: :roll: :roll: on here :roll: I think this is why you don't generally see them available :roll: As it is a species, it is not as showy as many hybrid/cultivar/sports so is less likely to be TC'd
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

think i will just concentrate on trying to keep the main plants alive for a few years first then :lol: icon_thumleft
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Mr List wrote:think i will just concentrate on trying to keep the main plants alive for a few years first then :lol: icon_thumleft

Gaoli are easy to propagate as long as you keep them in pots or planters and don’t plant them out. In the first year Most of the runners will be produced under the soil and those that appear above… I just poke the end back in the compost. Come winter time, just place them in an un-heated greenhouse, shed or garage, and like Dave said don’t let them dry out.
In the spring empty the pot and you will see that at the end of each runner is a swollen corm that will have its own roots and growing point.
Cut them off and Pot them up… I find it best to start them off in an airing cupboard then it’s on a windowsill or in greenhouse.

When I first bought my gaoli I went from just two plants to well over a hundred in two years!