Colocasia gaoligongensis, one of the most hardy

Petefree

Re: Colocasia gaoligongensis

Post by Petefree »

simon wrote:Pete, you should have come to the Amulree/UJ meet. UJ had plent of Fallax when we were all there. I have just removed 3 offsets from mine. I could be persuaded to let one go if if you are coming to Will Giles'.

Incidentally, my fallax looks like it's about to flower.
Thought I'd just bump this thread.
Simon: the C fallax you kindly gave me is still in a pot in the greenhouse (I thought I'd mollycoddle it until next Spring) and now has 4 chunky runners which I'm trying to guide into pots of their own.
It's a nicely marked thing - with the silvery splash in the centre of the leaf. Presumably this is the true fallax isn't it?
Cheers
Pete
Mark

Post by Mark »

Pete , you had me confused for a Mo. This is the False Fallax thread ( Gaoligongs)
But your plant is the true Fallax ( silver streak in the centre)

I had to back track to make sure :lol:
simon

Post by simon »

That's right Pete, it's the real McCoy. As you said, nice markings but they don't seem to get very big.

I'm still waiting for my promised Gaoligongensis offset from Mr. H :lol:
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

Mark wrote:Pete , you had me confused for a Mo. This is the False Fallax thread ( Gaoligongs)
But your plant is the true Fallax ( silver streak in the centre)

I had to back track to make sure :lol:
Oops - sorry for the confusion, Mark. There are so many references in this lengthy thread to non-fallax/false fallax/faux-lax/gaoligongensis and also to true fallax and the crug octopus thingy I wasn't sure whether I was on foot or horseback!
:oops: Pete
Mark

Post by Mark »

simon wrote: I'm still waiting for my promised Gaoligongensis offset from Mr. H :lol:
Sorry Simon :oops: :oops: :oops: . I have some runners on the plant in the front garden at the moment. If you want to pop round on your way home from work one evening I can take them off for you icon_thumleft And maybe interest you in a Clivea,Bourganvillia,Gingers, The odd skinny Datura, Basjoos ,Velutina, Lasiocarpas

Oh and a cuppa :D
simon

Post by simon »

Mark wrote:
simon wrote: I'm still waiting for my promised Gaoligongensis offset from Mr. H :lol:
Sorry Simon :oops: :oops: :oops: . I have some runners on the plant in the front garden at the moment. If you want to pop round on your way home from work one evening I can take them off for you icon_thumleft And maybe interest you in a Clivea,Bourganvillia,Gingers, The odd skinny Datura, Basjoos ,Velutina, Lasiocarpas

Oh and a cuppa :D
:lol: Mark, if I didn't know you better I could mistake your generosity for getting rid of stuff to make room in your polytunnel :lol:

I was just ribbing you about the Gaoligongensis, not in any hurry for it, but could pop in. I will let you know.

Do they need to come off anyway or would they be better off left on the plant until spring?
Mark

Post by Mark »

:lol: They need to come off NOW!!! :lol: Best take them before the frosts arrive just in case the plant doesn't decide to grow again :roll:

Is that a yes to the other stuff? :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've been looking for the topic for some time now. The problem was I was spelling gaoligongensis wrong :roll: :oops:

Just about all of my Coli gooli came back after the bad winter, but the original rhizomes all rotted. This is something I have found a lot with Colocasia that produce stolons. The main rhizome has a tendancy to rot but the stolons do not. The clumpers do not seem a prone to rotting. Well that is another topic altogether, but the Goolis came back but not in the same places and some were 3 feet from where I had them last year. Also after a few of us had myserious dieback in 2008 I have had the same this year. It is quite odd. You have half dozen near each other, and one will just collapse and die back to rhizome, then regrow. It is not water or feed as all getting the same icon_scratch icon_scratch Odd. Anyone else had die back this year :?:

Also they seem to be more illustrius looking this year than I recall, with definate black patches between the veins. I didn't overwinter any under cover last winter so it is a good job they are tough.
100909 Colocasia gaoligonensis.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by grub »

Well, how has everyone got on with these? I had two from AndyC last year and they were planted together in an open border in about the middle of the garden, neither had any protection of any kind in the winter and look what I've just spotted :DD
hardy colly..jpg
I know it's a crappe picture but it was on my phone, that's a pound coin next to it icon_thumright and I'm happy to say it takes -18C :shock:

:lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

grub wrote:Well, how has everyone got on with these? I had two from AndyC last year and they were planted together in an open border in about the middle of the garden, neither had any protection of any kind in the winter and look what I've just spotted :DD
hardy colly..jpg
I know it's a crappe picture but it was on my phone, that's a pound coin next to it icon_thumright and I'm happy to say it takes -18C :shock:

-18 for a collie, that must be a UK record! Lets hope it grows very fast to make a decent plant soon.
Bob

Post by Bob »

grub wrote:Well, how has everyone got on with these? I had two from AndyC last year and they were planted together in an open border in about the middle of the garden, neither had any protection of any kind in the winter and look what I've just spotted :DD
hardy colly..jpg

Likewise plants from AndyC last year Grub. Mine are starting to spread along my rock edging, which is what I'd hoped for.
-18c must put it in the very hardy category. icon_thumright

mine tonight:

grub

Post by grub »

Yours look a bit ahead of mine Bob :lol:
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

I've been advertising them as hardy down to -10C, perhaps I should 'big' them up a bit :lol:
Grub, I also found a tiddler a couple of weeks ago where I had them growing last year. The little tubers that form on the end of the stolons are at least as tough as the main plants. icon_thumleft
Andy
grub

Post by grub »

AndyC wrote:I've been advertising them as hardy down to -10C, perhaps I should 'big' them up a bit :lol:
Grub, I also found a tiddler a couple of weeks ago where I had them growing last year. The little tubers that form on the end of the stolons are at least as tough as the main plants. icon_thumleft
Don't short sell Andy! :lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

where can you buy these from?