colocasia madeira

User avatar
Mr List
Posts: 5075
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:00 pm
Location: Leeds,West Yorkshire

colocasia madeira

Post by Mr List » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:18 am

am i the only one who bought one of these this year?
there has been no mentions of it.

if anybody has one how are they doing?
can we get some pictures?


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19686
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by Dave Brown » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:16 pm

I got one from Amulree delivered at the end of May. It has grow 3 leaves since then :wink:

so where is your pic then :wink:
Attachments
2012-07-07-15-04-14 Colocasia Madeira.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


User avatar
Mr List
Posts: 5075
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:00 pm
Location: Leeds,West Yorkshire

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by Mr List » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:36 pm

i will get one up when it stops raining :lol:

where have you had it?

mine has been outside in the ground since it was tiny and it has three growing points.
also my leaves go nearly black icon_thumleft


User avatar
call
Posts: 1573
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: kent england
Contact:

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by call » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:42 pm

says there out of stock now :(
callum
growing exotics in sunny thanet icon_sunny
http://tinytropicals.blogspot.co.uk/


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19686
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by Dave Brown » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:58 pm

Mr List wrote:i will get one up when it stops raining :lol:

where have you had it?

mine has been outside in the ground since it was tiny and it has three growing points.
also my leaves go nearly black icon_thumleft
I never put tiny ones outside, as stalling and going into terminal decline is very easy when small. Mine has been in the sun in the conservatory up to 38C. The idea being to give it 'hot and wet', to get maximum growth to bulk it up quickly. I do not plant out in the first year, or until I have a backup. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


GREVILLE
Posts: 2866
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:39 am
Location: South London

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by GREVILLE » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:06 pm

I bought one, too, Ken.

My post and pic about it might just as well be Dave's icon_thumright


User avatar
Mr List
Posts: 5075
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:00 pm
Location: Leeds,West Yorkshire

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by Mr List » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:02 am

Dave Brown wrote:
Mr List wrote:i will get one up when it stops raining :lol:

where have you had it?

mine has been outside in the ground since it was tiny and it has three growing points.
also my leaves go nearly black icon_thumleft
I never put tiny ones outside, as stalling and going into terminal decline is very easy when small. Mine has been in the sun in the conservatory up to 38C. The idea being to give it 'hot and wet', to get maximum growth to bulk it up quickly. I do not plant out in the first year, or until I have a backup. :wink:

that is really weird because i would say mine is doing just aswell as yours atm,
i would have expected yours to be twice as big as mine by now under those conditions.


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19686
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by Dave Brown » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:37 am

Mr List wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:
Mr List wrote:i will get one up when it stops raining :lol:

where have you had it?

mine has been outside in the ground since it was tiny and it has three growing points.
also my leaves go nearly black icon_thumleft
I never put tiny ones outside, as stalling and going into terminal decline is very easy when small. Mine has been in the sun in the conservatory up to 38C. The idea being to give it 'hot and wet', to get maximum growth to bulk it up quickly. I do not plant out in the first year, or until I have a backup. :wink:

that is really weird because i would say mine is doing just aswell as yours atm,
i would have expected yours to be twice as big as mine by now under those conditions.
Maybe it is happy in cooler, wetter conditions, but I still don't risk it. If you lose the first one, sometimes getting hold of another can be a problem :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


User avatar
Mr List
Posts: 5075
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:00 pm
Location: Leeds,West Yorkshire

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by Mr List » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:22 am

looking at it now i don't think it is quite as big as yours but it has got three growing points, could be a factor.

Image

as i have said before i am going for colocasia which might be 100% hardy and i know it would stand a better chance if i planted it when it was bigger and i had spares but i just can't get any success with aroids that are not in the ground.


User avatar
SteveW
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:11 pm
Location: Hoo peninsular,Kent

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by SteveW » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Mines been planted since late may.
Looks to be sizing up just fine. Faster than the little pink chinas I planted out around the same time.
I got sangria at the same time as that's doing just as well
Sounds like both may prove to be hardy as Brian Williams tells me theyve both got pink china in their breeding so fingers crossed :)


User avatar
Mr List
Posts: 5075
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:00 pm
Location: Leeds,West Yorkshire

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by Mr List » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:10 pm

i am suprised there are not any goaligongensis offspring going about aswell icon_scratch


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19686
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by Dave Brown » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:37 pm

I didn't realise it was Pink China based until Brian mentioned it, so will stand a good chance of being hardy left out, but I still wouldn't chance it until I have backups. :wink:

Ken, yours seems to be showing a Pink China trait in pupping very small :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


User avatar
SteveW
Posts: 1747
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:11 pm
Location: Hoo peninsular,Kent

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by SteveW » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:46 pm

I'm not going to leave mine out,but plants always bulk up quicker for me when they're planted out. So I'll lift in the autumn and overwinter in the greenhouse as usual.


User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 19686
Joined: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:17 am
Location: Chalk, (Thames Estuary) Kent, England 51.5N 0.3E
Contact:

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by Dave Brown » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:42 pm

SteveW wrote:I'm not going to leave mine out,but plants always bulk up quicker for me when they're planted out. So I'll lift in the autumn and overwinter in the greenhouse as usual.
Mine didn't arrive until the end of May and is in a huge pot, so I'm just letting it fill it better in warmer conditions :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
_________________________________________________
Roll on summer.....
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk


User avatar
Andrew Smith
Posts: 316
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:18 am
Location: Southampton, Hampshire, UK
Contact:

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by Andrew Smith » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:34 am

Has anybody tried leaving Colocasia Madeira or Colocasia Pink China outside planted in the ground over winter?

I see that on Amulree web site for Pink China it says - Seems to be one of the hardier forms

and for Madeira it says - Not very big but it could be the hardiest one yet!


Post Reply