colocasia madeira

Mr List

Re: colocasia madeira

Post by Mr List »

mine was very weak growing so I brought it inside.
still died.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've left Pink China out, but as we are only just getting Crocuses out, any surviving Pink China will need some sun to coax them up. Had almost continuous gloomy conditions since November, and even the Christmas Cactus is flowering for a third time now.

Pink China rhizomes outside are firm which is a good sign, but Madeira which was not planted out, has lost it's main growth point and is just starting to show some pup growth now. Not really a hardiness test, but it didn't seem to like being in growth at 2C with almost continuous 95-100% humidity. This one maybe needs drier conditions over winter than I've had in the Lunar Module or outside.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

as always our climates are not the same so this is all I can say about it. it grows very very quickly here with our summer heat but really maxs out at about 3 ft tall and just pups crazy after that. with our hot sun they are always black unless in deep shade. They don't seem to mind frequent water but it usually drys off each day with our heat. They do overwinter here in zone 6 with leaves as mulch so they can take a freeze but they are also one of the first ones to go when it cools off. maybe it just wanted to go to sleep Dave since I have never tried to keep one going here over winter IDK how they would do but they will overwinter outside. I would say Sangria has been the best overwintering one so far though with maderia and pink china close behind.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I just kept mine potted and dry in the frost-free greenhouse for the winter. Lack of sun and warming growth reduced it to a single shoot by the beginning of March so it's now in bottom heat to kick start it.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Here was my Madeira last September, with Mojito :)
2012-09-02-12-04-02 Mojito and Madeira.jpg
I resorted to putting the whole tub in the propagator towards the end of March, and within a week we had 6 pups. None of the leaves have started to turn black yet, as needs to be outside in the sun, but too cold so far :roll:
Attachments
2013-04-10-17-50-56 Colocasia Madeira.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by call »

lovin' the mojito dave where did you get it from icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

No pups on mine yet, but new roller has opened up.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

[quote="GREVILLE"]No pups on mine yet, but new roller has opened up.[/quote}

Update more than six weeks later. One tiny leaf hung around for a month and todays inspection reveals it has collapsed. Lifted the small tuber out of the pot and the entire top half is now rotten. The bottom half is firm and a tiny new shoot is growing out of its side. Not a root to be seen icon_scratch
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I am also testing Colocasia Pink China here in The Netherlands. Here they have survived very cold winter under a THICK MULCH. And they seem to grow well under the Dutch moderate summer conditions similair to those in the UK.

They are availble at: www.degroeneprins.nl and www.perkgroen.nl

Alexander