Black colocasia - new to it so advice needed!!

ourarka

Black colocasia - new to it so advice needed!!

Post by ourarka »

So I finally dipped my toe in to the colocasia world and picked up a good value, but poorly labelled, specimen of what I believe to be Black Magic at my local tropical nursery.

I understand it is happy with wet roots and it is by my pond, but could go in my pond .... would this be a better option?

Also, what are the best options come cooler weather? Take it out, keep it dry and let it die back?
GoggleboxUK

Re: Black colocasia - new to it so advice needed!!

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I had one in the pond all last summer and it grew very well but it kicked the bucket due to rot when it spent too long indoors due to the February and April cold snaps.

They are notoriously difficult, Kris has referred to them as Black Death.

;)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Don't let black magic put you off growing colocasias many are much easier. Diamond head has black shiny leaves and is easier to grow. If black magic then try to keep above 20 degrees all year round with a good bright light source in winter.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Hmmm.... I doubt I am going to be able to provide those conditions for it over the winter so it may end up as an annual this year! Still, it didn't cost too much.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Just out of interest, if I can get hold of a diamond head .... would that be happy in the pond? What would its winter instructions be?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Can you post a pic Ourarka :?: as there are a few Black Colocasia, around now.

Even Plant delights say for Black Magic, not to let go dormant as they have a habit of not coming back.

I'm not sure you need to keep them above 20C Kris. I have overwintered at a minimum of 7C but they need to go higher during the day... say 15C. I also had one freaky year where they came back in a tub after going down to -2C, but that is not the norm.

Air circulation is also important in avoiding rots. I always have a fan running constantly behind the heater, This also makes the thermostat work more precisely, as blowing air over it. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Vagetarian »

Mine overwintered at around 15 with the natural light in my conservatory (glazed roof only) and it kept growing quite strongly.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Here we go Dave,
Attachments
IMG_0057.JPG
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Looks like Black Beauty to me.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

A quick search of 'Black Beauty' on the interweb and I reckon you're right .... it would appear that is good news in terms of overwintering?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

ourarka wrote:A quick search of 'Black Beauty' on the interweb and I reckon you're right .... it would appear that is good news in terms of overwintering?
Yes, definitely not Black Magic and looks like Black Beauty, which is a sport of Colocasia illustris, by Brian Williams of Brian's Botanicals, Kentucky. This one can be overwintered dormant, in fact seems to want to do that mostly. Then started off in heat and moisture in March :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ourarka »

Thanks Dave - can you briefly explain the process of keeping them in dormancy over winter?
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Sorry to bump this message - just wondering the recommended method for overwintering black beauty down where I am. I do have a greenhouse and conservatory, though no additional lighting. When should it be dug up too?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

ourarka wrote:Sorry to bump this message - just wondering the recommended method for overwintering black beauty down where I am. I do have a greenhouse and conservatory, though no additional lighting. When should it be dug up too?

They don't seem to build up a big corm so drying them off is probably a no-no. I try to keep them going on a window sill or greenhouse and by the end of a dark winter they are usually down to one sorry leaf. They soon perk up in spring though. icon_thumright
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
ourarka wrote:Sorry to bump this message - just wondering the recommended method for overwintering black beauty down where I am. I do have a greenhouse and conservatory, though no additional lighting. When should it be dug up too?

They don't seem to build up a big corm so drying them off is probably a no-no. I try to keep them going on a window sill or greenhouse and by the end of a dark winter they are usually down to one sorry leaf. They soon perk up in spring though. icon_thumright

do you find that smaller corms seem to be a hard start for you? I have overwinted some that had corms about the size of a grape and they came through alright. they do take off slowly but they take off which is all that matters icon_thumleft