How are your Mammoths doing this year!

Vagetarian

Re: How are your Mammoths doing this year!

Post by Vagetarian »

Interesting, some of the eddoes in my Asda were totally spherical (and fibre-less) though no where near 6". However, I don't want a mammoth now, only whatever Somerset is growing. :lol:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

was the mammoth i got from you this year from the htuk mammoth or other source?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

just noticed the first flower on mine yesterday

Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

miketropic wrote:just noticed the first flower on mine yesterday
None on my mammoths yet but the bog standard esculenta's have been flowering for quite a while. Hopefully the mammoths will follow soon
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
None on my mammoths yet but the bog standard esculenta's have been flowering for quite a while. Hopefully the mammoths will follow soon
Flowering is coupled with smaller leaves, so flowering is not best for huge leaves.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Dave Brown wrote:
Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
Flowering is coupled with smaller leaves, so flowering is not best for huge leaves.
icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:[quote="Dave Brown"
icon_thumleft[/quote]

very true most of my larger leaves have died out in production of the flower..My diamonds head were hit really really hard as the flower started to emerge..lost 3 of my largest leaves ( almost 36 inchs each :shock: )
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Somerset77 wrote: i only feed mine chicken pellets and i water them every evening or morning (depends on work), thats it! And mine only get about 2.5 or maybe 3 hrs late afternoon sun (plant is west facing). Ironically the ones that get full sun and the same feed water regime are absolutely rubbish! :lol:

I was a bit cautious with use of chicken poo this year, because last year I burnt some of the leaves on my nanas with feeding them too much.
I’ve only fed chicken poo once this year to my mammoths… June time a small handful, but looking back to last year I fed lots of chicken poo to my Colocasia Dark Stem and it acted like rocket fuel!!! They haven’t done as well this year with only a small amount.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

My biggest leaf is 90cm and I don’t expect to get one bigger then that this year! I’m pleased as punch with the results though :D now I just have to think about what method I’m going to use to overwinter them. :roll:

CW01

Post by CW01 »

Glad to see the 'Mammoth's' have grown well for you Tony icon_thumleft the plant from last year with the 104cm leaf flowered at the end of last season and so has not given me overly large leaves this season but another plant from the same stock has given me a leaf of 87cm thus far although we are running out of time now hopefully be back in the hunt for the largest leaf next year :D
Pic of my largest
image.jpg
Somerset77

Post by Somerset77 »

Palmer wrote:My biggest leaf is 90cm and I don’t expect to get one bigger then that this year! I’m pleased as punch with the results though :D now I just have to think about what method I’m going to use to overwinter them. :roll:

Well let me know as I'm majorly panicking bout overwintering mine as its absolutely enormous :ahhh!: icon_thumleft
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I was digging a few things up today but I think I will let my mammoths go just a week or 2 more before I dry store them. there still putting out decent sized leaves
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

CW01 wrote:Glad to see the 'Mammoth's' have grown well for you Tony icon_thumleft

Thanks Carl… do you take all this year’s pups off and pot them on or leave them on till next year!

I asked my 4 year old granddaughter to stand next to leaf for a photo and she said aren’t you going to measure it Granddad :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

My two mammoths recently put out a new leaf each. One produced a smaller leaf at 880mm but the other has produced the biggest at 930mm ............

880mm....
Mammoth 880mm
Mammoth 880mm
930mm....
Mammoth 930mm
Mammoth 930mm
A group pic, the bog standard esculenta have also done well and are not far behind the mammoths for size......
Aroid bed
Aroid bed
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

icon_salut icon_salut