Alocasia Calidora "pupping" ?

Arlon Tishmarsh

Alocasia Calidora "pupping" ?

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I hope this is what i think it is. I think i've read somewhere that they don't always pup easily...........
Alocasia Calidora
Alocasia Calidora
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Alocasia Calidora "pupping" ?

Post by Dave Brown »

It is a pup Arlon icon_thumright but may take quite a while to root. If you are thinking of separating it, gently dig down to see if it has rooted first.

Some Calidora, like San's for instance, pup like crazy, but put all their energy into producing them rather than huge leaves, others like mine don't produce pups, well, one in 5 years, so put all it's energy into the leaves.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Dave, the plant is a pup from San last year so probably explains why its pupping
When i planted it out earlier in the year , i noticed several swellings around the corm and have been waiting for something to push up through.

This is the one aroid i've been hoping for pups from ........very chuffed
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

If you put gravel or coarse bark up against the rhizome a couple of inches higher than it is now, you may encourage more pups :wink: Needs to be an airated mix.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Already done it Dave. icon_thumleft

I do the same when rooting runners / stolons. I find the roots can grow fairly unrestricted into a barky medium, then when i detach the pups the loose bark falls away resulting in no root damage , making it easier to pot them up properly.

I'm hoping to see at least one more pop up as well as i seem to remember there being three / four "nodes" at or around the top of the rhizome

It might also pay me to move a "dark stem" from in front of the parent plant. Its zoomed up to about 4 ft and is blocking a good deal of sun from reaching it.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Glad your happy with the calidora still arlon. Once it pups it cant stop. The mother to yours is very dirty, she just wont stop having babies! But like dave said it does have an impact on leave size. My biggest this year was just under 2 and half ft long and about 1 and half ft wide nay be a little bigger. But my mother calidora has grown brilliantly this year. It is only 3 inches off 5ft now with 4 inches of trunk. :-)
Arlon Tishmarsh

sanatic1234 wrote:Glad your happy with the calidora still arlon. Once it pups it cant stop.
Its done very well San , from a pup last year to 4ft plus and still opening leaves. Put it in the bathroom today where it'll stay till next season.

I think it could be a case of mother like daughter :lol:

Here it is a few weeks ago......

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 6&start=15
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

It looks great arlon well done, but it does look a very small 4ft without sounding rude. Mine is at 4ft 8 inches and looks loads bigger to be honest and that is after 3 years :lol: it must be your picture not doing it much justice. But 3ft just over in one year is a massive achievement! Have you moved abroad to the tropics? It looks great though arlon. :-)
This is what mine is looking like at current at 4ft 8"

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 8843_o.jpg