Colocasia Stolon / Runner Propagation

Kristen

Colocasia Stolon / Runner Propagation

Post by Kristen »

I've got some Stolons / Runners on some Colocasias, can I just stand a pot under them, pin the stolon down (with an upside-down U-shaped bit of wire) and it will root? or do I need to wait until it starts to point upwards and/or make a leaf?

Some of the stolons are quite long, can I get several pots under them - one per node perhaps? or a seed-tray to then see where the Pups spring up?

Compost for the pot? 50:50 multi purpose and perlite like for my cuttings, or something else?

Water the little pots when I water the main plant?

My biggest issue will be how to move the plants around - e.g. for Winter storage? I'd have to be an Octopus to move all Pup-pots together with the Mother, and I don't suppose they will be ready for separation until next Spring?
IMG_3994_ColocasiaStolons.jpg
IMG_3995_ColocasiaStolons.jpg
Mr List

Re: Colocasia Stolon / Runner Propagation

Post by Mr List »

i am curious of more details on this subject also, but my runners are only just starting.
is there a way to speed up runner growth?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Mr List wrote:i am curious of more details on this subject also, but my runners are only just starting.
is there a way to speed up runner growth?
Mine have sped up hugely since I moved them into the conservatory and started watering them with hand-hot water twice a day.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Kristen »

Thanks Dave, I had only tried searching the forums icon_salut
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I acually broke my first runner off of my black ruffles this morning after work and put it in a pot to let it get a good handle before winter.. the sad part is the runners from the black ruffles are larger than my 2 year old black magics :( If the first one does well I will break off the other 5 or 6 if not they will stay on the mother till winter time