Colocasia fallax

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Colocasia fallax

Post by Dave Brown »

Picked this one up from Amulree while on the Norwich visit a couple of weeks ago.

I have heard that this is not one of the more hardy Colocasia and the instructions on the label say not to let it go below 13C (55F) or to treat as a pond marginal annual. It's in the pond margins at the moment and has greened up well with a couple of doses of seaweed extract when I got it home.

Seem to pup well so will try a few bits in different temperatures to see how it goes :wink:

I think a few people have tried this in the past and the verdict was "not very hardy" but not sure how to interpret that.
Attachments
2012-08-25-15-15-44 Colocasia fallax.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Colocasia fallax

Post by Alexander »

I have one here from Pokhara, Nepal. I did collect it near the lake on a moist rockface near water getting out of the rock. Well in that town they also grow things like Plumeria. So it does not get that cold there! Its at arround 820 meters there.

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Thanks Alexander, nice to know the natural habitat conditions :wink:

The plant in my pic is still ticking along, but the smallest Colocasia I have. Leaves are no bigger now than they were then.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Dave Brown wrote:Thanks Alexander, nice to know the natural habitat conditions :wink:

The plant in my pic is still ticking along, but the smallest Colocasia I have. Leaves are no bigger now than they were then.
They stay small. Well you can grow them as a houseplant as well for the winter months.

Alexander
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

mine have flowered out 3 or 4 times this year..slugs have torn them to bits though.
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

I have one. It's tiny
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

They will make lots of young plants in time. Then you could try them outside as well with good winterprotection.

You never know...

Alexander