New member glad to be here

miketropic

New member glad to be here

Post by miketropic »

Thought I would introduce myself as I just found the board recently..hope its a warm welcome since Im from the other side of the world. I see that Brian Williams name pops up here alot and I just happen to be at his place about once a week so If there are ever any questions Id be happy to get anyone answers. these are the aroids I currently have growing and going back for more if the summer holds off long enough..

Lemon Lime Gecko ( unreleased williams hybrid )
Red Eye Gecko ( unreleased williams hybrid )
Elepaio
Diamonds Head
Blue Hawaiian
Mojito
Green ruffles
Black Ruffles
Black Magic mini
mammoth
Coffee cups
thai Giant

Lemon Lime Gecko

Red Eye Gecko

Just incase no one has seen them yet.
Mr List

Re: New member glad to be here

Post by Mr List »

you are lucky to be able to drop by such a treasure trove icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

The Lemon Lime Gecko looks a stunner icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome to HT forum Mike!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Welcome Mike!

I almost feel like flying to the US just to pick up some of Brians colocasia.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

This seemed like one of the more active aroid boards so I had to join....whats even better than the stuff Brian sells me is the stuff he won't sell me :lol: The test fields are amazing and everyone will be very pleased when some of the new things arrive.. I'm sure you have seen pics of the puckered up already but there is another that is comming soon that is crazy! don't know if I'm allowed to drop the name or not. Also some of the ideas he had he said he was starting on will really change the calo. gardening alot. I drop by just to grab somthing and I end up there for hours talking about whats new.

this is a thai giant grown in a kentucky season, and it was frosting till mid May here, I looked at this same plant back in may also and the leaves were maybe 6 inchs in length.. if theres any doubt on how big they can get outside the jungle..took this 2 days ago...I can't seem to get mine nearly as big as he does though

Last edited by miketropic on Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

If they ever back off the import situation Id be glad to help everyone over there get some stuff we really have a nice selection over here
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

miketropic wrote:If they ever back off the import situation Id be glad to help everyone over there get some stuff we really have a nice selection over here
Can't see that happening anytime soon :lol:

Nice thought though icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

A general parcel wouldn't be checked...
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Im Game :lol:..... I see in some of the garden photos that everyone grows more than calo and alos. here.. I also get various canna and Musas from Brians.. picked up a musella lasiacarpa when I went friday
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:The Lemon Lime Gecko looks a stunner icon_thumleft

I will have to take some new pics of it the leaves have really gone a bit crazy with there patterns almost looks like a limeaid gone wild :D
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome to the forum, Mike icon_cheers

Day one on the team and you are already the HTUK official aroid appetite-wetter for anything new from Brians batch :mrgreen: Don't think anyone here has received such an accolade before :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Michael, and welcome icon_salut

You must be one of the luckiest members on here, we all thought that anyone living near Norwich was fortunate, but living near Brian is totally something else icon_thumright

I'm heavily into Aroids as you may have noticed, and talk to Brian on Facebook, but don't have access to what he sells :ahhh!: or LariAnn Garner :ahhh!: :ahhh!:

Looking forward to reading your posts icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Welcome Mike! icon_thumleft

Some great looking new aroids there! It will be good to hear your knowledge and experience of growing from your part of the world.

Thanks for the pic's!

Look forward to seeing more pictures from your garden and your plants in the future!
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I am having a bit of trouble converting the celcius to degrees sometimes but other than that the forum is wonderful :lol: I know most members are fairly spread out but what kind of summer/winter temps and seasonal weather do you guys have over there? It seems the definition of hardy varys alot from place to place.. The Hardy tropical part really drew me in b/c we have wonderful summers 80/90 degree F but some kentucky winters can get down to the teens or even below zero F for weeks at a time so I can grow big and beautiful in the summer but I basically over winter like most of you do...

I am very lucky to be close to Brians since I feel he is the foremost authority on aroids I have come in contact with.. Since I have a place to put them I will def take lots of pics for everyone next time I stop in..It really is somthing else to see all the tropicals growing in Kentucky outdoors like he has..Anyway I can help I will be glad to with questions/comments or plants if possible..Like to share whatever I can with like minded people