Alocasia Macrrorrhiza

DAVIDEVANS

Alocasia Macrrorrhiza

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

I'm planning my garden for next year going through the online catalogues and getting inspiration mainly from here. Not too much money available so most new plants I need to grow from seeds.
I see on Ebay Alcosia Macrorrhiza is available in both seed and tuber form. Bearing in mind the only growing space I have before planting out is the spare room, is it worth trying this plant.
Mr List

Re: Alocasia Macrrorrhiza

Post by Mr List »

no, choose another alocasia icon_thumright
harryc

Post by harryc »

Same as Mr List I have never had any luck with a Mac. There is better suited Alocasia for the UK climate like Calidora.

H
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

:oops: missed this.

Go for an odora based Alocasia in preference to Mac. The odora gives it a cool tolerance. Americans enthuse over Mac's speed of growth and size, it is fine if we have a very hot summer, but doesn't do much in an average year.

Look out for these
Alocasia odora
Alocasia x calidora
Alocasia x portora
Alocasia gageana
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fieldfest »

I have an a.mac rhizome you can have, pm me
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Keep it potted in a sunny hot spot when outside, David. If you want to plant it in a border, I would pot plunge it and lift it out for the winter.

I keep mine inside the greenhouse until June to maximise the heat input and usually return it by mid-Autumn. I get good growth keeping to this regime.

You will still get better results with the other varieties listed in this thread.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

just while on the subject of this plant ,
is there any advantage to be had in sinking the trunk as it forms or is it better to leave it getting higher above the ground?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:just while on the subject of this plant ,
is there any advantage to be had in sinking the trunk as it forms or is it better to leave it getting higher above the ground?
LariAnn Garner says to plunge, but as I replied, where do we find a 4ft deep pot, and then it won't fit in the conservatory for winter. :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

a shame for you guys the varig. macs are really beautiful when they get large
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

Thanks for all the information and a very generous offer.

Having looked through many of the posts I've ordered COLOCASIA 'Madeira' and COLOCASIA 'PINK CHINA'.

I already have COLOCASIA Ruffles and some Esculenta tubers from Morrisons.

Planning to get Colocasia Esculenta Fontanesii and Alocasia Odora.

Are Wilkos still doing the mammoth? I lost mine a few years back but would really like to try again.

If I've understood other peoples experience correctly, the above are probably the easiest?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Maderia and pink china are good choices they will over winter well for you. Try sangria as well if its avaliable over there
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

miketropic wrote:Maderia and pink china are good choices they will over winter well for you. Try sangria as well if its avaliable over there
All are available, and certainly 'Pink China' is hardy, locally. Madeira and Sangria are doing well in their first winter here, although not planted out. Kept at above 2C they are not losing leaves like all the other Colocasia, which seem to suffer lack of midwinter light, and partially shut down.

Another one good at retaining leaves during winter seems to be Hawaiian Eye :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

don't have a hawiian eye but I will end up with one I'm sure. heard about one called maui magic the other day I'm gunna dig a bit deeper and find out if its just somthing with a new name or an acual new plant I don't have.