which Aroid, Alocasia or Colocasia.

miketropic

Re: which Aroid, Alocasia or Colocasia.

Post by miketropic »

if you do ever happen to see those ones I mentioned in the UK make sure to pick them up we have winters about like grubs and they come back over here as well.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Thanks Mike, unfortunately no luck with the one grub mentioned.

I did order a pink china from amulree, but definately want to add more varieties to the garden.
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

Delboy wrote:Thanks Mike, unfortunately no luck with the one grub mentioned.

I did order a pink china from amulree, but definately want to add more varieties to the garden.
The one that Grub mentioned could be under colocasia fallax on the amulree website and I think its in stock. I have ordered a couple.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have heard C. fallax is not all that hardy, but misnaming/labelling is rife with Colocasia. gaoligongensis has been misnamed fallax to my knowledge and gaoli is fairly hardy.

I think there is another issue which affects us with Colocasia other than cold hardiness. Although your winter might be as cold as Grub's, the sun for you is high enough to start heating the ground by February, I don't get the sun as high for another 6 weeks or so, and maybe as much as 9 weeks in Northern England. This may mean we will not see any growth until late May to July. By that time most people will have given up and dug it out to replace.

I'm experimenting this winter leaving things out, but it may be better to lift and start off under glass to give a reasonable size plant by the last frosts. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

It just amazes me that you don't see any growth until May Dave..I guess your loooong fall season makes up for it. I plan to have everything going in early april and should have good size plants with nice temps by mid may. There are some differant colocasia's still in ground I decided to experiment with this year. I'll let you know how that goes.
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Hi every one. After a long period of inactivity, a couple of weeks ago I woke up after seeing eddoes in a local shop. And since then have tried to buy colocasia goaligongensis online (ebay) but have been pipped at the post several times. But the coli I would love to get hold of is 'Pink China'. I love the redish stems. Where can I buy them? In America they seem to be as common as eddoes are over here. I have also visited Wilkinsdons at Stevenage a couple of times but they just look at me as if I were stupid. " colocasia? sorry mate never heard of them". Is there somewhere in England that sells them? Goaligongesis or Pink China are the colli's Im after because they are likely to get through a winter. I noticed that some on H.Tropicals had them. They must have got them from some where. Any advice guys (apart from go back to sleep) :lol: .
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

Amulree will have Pink China.