Giant Alocasia from my local

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Giant Alocasia from my local

Post by Dave Brown »

Sal73 wrote:Thank you Dave , I doubt is indian as it come from Bangladesh , my local can tell me where they coming from
as every week they have a different load from around the world , look.
India
Looks like Xanthosoma vioaceum to me
Sal73 wrote: Thailand (really small tubers , first leave 15 inches)

An Alocasia
Sal73 wrote: Brazil and ghana
Colocasia 'Pink China' and some sort of esculenta?
Sal73 wrote: vietnam
Alocasia brisbanensis?
Sal73 wrote: south america
Colocasia esculenta Jack's Giant, or Mammoth. Jacks Giant has white roots, Mammoth pinkish :wink:
Sal73 wrote: Can`t remember this one

Dark Stem Hybrid, often sold as Burgundy Stem, but isn't.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

The Xanthosoma could be also X. saggitifolium. Well the X. violacea has a purple color, the X. saggitifolium is green.

In Cuba you see whole fields with Xanthosoma saggitifolium like you see potatoe fields here in Europe.

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alexander wrote:The Xanthosoma could be also X. saggitifolium. Well the X. violacea has a purple color, the X. saggitifolium is green.

In Cuba you see whole fields with Xanthosoma saggitifolium like you see potatoe fields here in Europe.

Alexander
saggiifolium is more of an apple green, and those leaves have the more blueish cast that I have on my violaceum. Also the is a purple stem visible, although that could be from another plant.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Sal73 »

Guys I`m really impressed , overall got other yams , plus many other have end up in my fry pan as I didn`t had a clue
that the eddoes sold in shop are all different from each other ......recently got some tubers from Pakistan , really tiny tubers gave some to PeteS as well just to see , this week he had a load from jamaica, but the tuber didn`t look different from the usual dasheen ...in past see some suran as well , but I had no clue of what it was , will try again this year .
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

Alexander wrote:The Xanthosoma could be also X. saggitifolium. Well the X. violacea has a purple color, the X. saggitifolium is green.

Alexander

It actually had purple stem , but they are coming from India , as we start a thred on the other forum , another member managed to get the purple one as well , now that I know what are they , i really didn`t know that they can get so big icon_cheers
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Sal73 wrote:
It actually had purple stem , but they are coming from India , as we start a thred on the other forum , another member managed to get the purple one as well , now that I know what are they , i really didn`t know that they can get so big icon_cheers
It may well be grown and sold in India but Xanthosoma is a South American plant :wink: Same as Taro is not from Hawaii, but they grow millions there :)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Sal73 wrote:

Alexander

In India you get plenty wild Colocasia esculenta, the red stemmed and green ones as well. The purple stemmed Xanthosoma violacea I have not seen grown for food as far as I did remember.

But you see them a ornamental plants.

Alexander
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

Hi Alexander , not a great phographer , but can you actually see the purple stem on the left ,

what I start to think is that , maybe all the edible yam are collected in small village of india or anyother country and maybe some are just collected from the wild .

they are cheap in deed , but start to think that with the money I` spend on the edible i could have get some
decorative variete .
Yesterday got some from Colombia .
Sal73

Post by Sal73 »

Hi Alexander , not a great phographer , but can you actually see the purple stem on the left ,

what I start to think is that , maybe all the edible yam are collected in small village of india or anyother country and maybe some are just collected from the wild .

they are cheap in deed , but start to think that with the money I` spend on the edible i could have get some
decorative variete .
Yesterday got some from Colombia .