A calidora pups

Steady

A calidora pups

Post by Steady »

Bought an alocasia calidora about a month back and has quite a large pup growing from the main plant, plant and pup still growing well with new leaves but was thinking of deviding them to concentrate on main stem.
Does anyone think now would be good time or best to wait till next year, also any tips on seperating without causing damage to either?
Addictedtopalms26

Re: A calidora pups

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Is your plant currently kept inside?

If so.. you could take the plant out of the pot and shake some compost off to see the root format. If it looks like an easy separation, go for it. If not I'd leave it till late spring when both are growing away happily and you won't have to worry about rotting e.t.c :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alocasia x calidora, has pups mainly from the main rhizome (trunk). These are more like branches, and can take sometime to form roots. Carefully excavate compost from around the pup to check for roots, and if there are none leave longer.

I wouldn't divide now as you'll have 2 pots to get through the winter, spring will be better :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Steady »

Addictedtopalms26 wrote:Is your plant currently kept inside?

If so.. you could take the plant out of the pot and shake some compost off to see the root format. If it looks like an easy separation, go for it. If not I'd leave it till late spring when both are growing away happily and you won't have to worry about rotting e.t.c :)
I'm growing the Alocasia in the house on a south facing bay window, wasn't sure how it would favour conditions as read they need humidity but doesn't seem to mind the central heating on. Sounds like it might be best to leave the pups till next year before I split the family up!
Steady

Post by Steady »

Dave Brown wrote:Alocasia x calidora, has pups mainly from the main rhizome (trunk). These are more like branches, and can take sometime to form roots. Carefully excavate compost from around the pup to check for roots, and if there are none leave longer.

I wouldn't divide now as you'll have 2 pots to get through the winter, spring will be better :wink:
Thanks for the info Dave, after seeing your Alocasia was wondering if there's any other advise you'd give to grow a plant like yours?