Overwintering colocasia’s in the loft

Palmer

Overwintering colocasia’s in the loft

Post by Palmer »

After the success last winter of over wintering bananas in the loft i thought I would also give colocasia’s ago this winter.
I’ve placed two large pots of Mammoths and one large pot of Dark Stem in the loft, I just removed their leaves and i have kept the compost moist, three months into the experiment it’s looking good!

One of the things I’m hoping for is the colosaia’s will retain their size… so straight back to big leaves when active growth starts again in the spring… we will see!

I’ll post pics when they come out of the loft at the beginning of March.
Palmer

Re: Overwintering colocasia’s in the loft

Post by Palmer »

I took them out of the loft yesterday and I have cleaned them up, they all look OK… I’ve had to remove a couple of leaf sheaths on the dark stem so that may reduce its size a little but all the corms are solid and with healthy roots.
The big test now will be to see if they start growing again at a normal rate and keep some of the size from last year!

I should point out that the two mammoths are not the “wilkos mammoths” they just look like mammoths… my wilkos mammoths I have over wintered using a different method.

I will post some more pics in a month or so when they have some new leaves.