Sauromatum venosum 'Indian Giant'

Palmer

Sauromatum venosum 'Indian Giant'

Post by Palmer »

the Indian Giant Voodoo Lily is an impressive form with overall much larger and broader proportions than the normal form, it has taller stalks with fewer dark spots on them and the corm/tubers are twice the size… the flowers are bigger too.
Normal form, 50 to 70cm.
Indian Giant, 100 to 130cm.

Sauromatum was placed in Typhonium and after that was done, they then conducted DNA analysis and found that it should have stayed in its own genus Sauromatum :lol:

It’s just as hardy as the normal form… I’ve been growing them for several years now :)
So if you would like to try a bigger Voodoo lily keep a look out on eBay they do come up for sale from time to time and you often see them on German eBay.

This bulb/tuber is 14cm across but they can get to nearly twice that size.

Edit; Ben is selling them and at a good price too icon_thumright

http://bencandlin.co.uk/plant-sales/sau ... dian-giant
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Sauromatum venosum 'Indian Giant'

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Good sized tuber icon_thumleft

I grew sauromatum venosum for the first time last year. I think mine was the standard type . It had a nice purple / yellow spathe even if it was short lived. The foliage was long lasting and quite different / interesting. There's a pic of mine in flower here.........

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... &start=765

The only other voodoo's i have are dracunculus vulgaris. All the tubers / corms of both types seem to bulk up very quickly . One thing i've learned / noticed with my tubers / corms is that bits that have accidently broken off, no matter how small, have all started to sprout as well .

Must look into a few other varieties
Last edited by Arlon Tishmarsh on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grub

Post by grub »

Is it very hardy?
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Yes I would say its hardy Grub that said though in the winter 10/11 I lost all the ones I had planted in a large pot because all the pot frosted up, but I had plenty in the ground without a mulch and lost none of them.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Good sized tuber icon_thumleft

I grew sauromatum venosum for the first time last year. I think mine was the standard type . It had a nice purple / yellow spathe even if it was short lived. The foliage was long lasting and quite different / interesting. There's a pic of mine in flower here.........

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... &start=765

The only other voodoo's i have are dracunculus vulgaris. All the tubers / corms of both types seem to bulk up very quickly . One thing i've learned / noticed with my tubers / corms is that bits that have accidently broken off, no matter how small, have all started to sprout as well .

Must look into a few other varieties

I think the flowers look really cool… smell like hell though. :lol:
I wouldn’t be without Dracunculus vulgaris that’s very hardy too… I’ve seen them growing in the wild in Eastern Europe on Lesvos and in Turkey, I have a picture of them somewhere. icon_scratch
Arlon Tishmarsh

Palmer wrote: I think the flowers look really cool… smell like hell though. :lol:
As i found out when i went in the greenhouse one morning.. :lol: :lol:
Palmer wrote: I wouldn’t be without Dracunculus vulgaris that’s very hardy too… icon_scratch
Yep, i heard they are surprisingly very hardy. Hopefully the smaller corms i have will bulk up and i'll leave a few out next winter. The two larger corms i only acquired last year , so being cautious i dug those out prior to this winter. They've been potted up for the last two weeks and there's growth showing above the pot already , having stored them dry over the winter

I think my concern with leaving them out permanently would be too wet a winter as opposed to too cold.
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

[quote="Arlon Tishmarsh]

I think my concern with leaving them out permanently would be too wet a winter as opposed to too cold.[/quote]

They don’t like wet clay soil or been sat in water Arlon but we’ve had a clump in my local park for over 20 years now in what I would call cloggy soil icon_thumright
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Arlon I saw this nice broadleaf version of Dracunculus vulgaris growing in the wild on Lesvos, I’m going back to the same place in June this year so I will collect us some corms on my next visit icon_thumright

Arlon Tishmarsh

Palmer wrote:Arlon I saw this nice broadleaf version of Dracunculus vulgaris growing in the wild on Lesvos, I’m going back to the same place in June this year so I will collect us some corms on my next visit icon_thumright
Sounds good , thanks very much. Perhaps i can find something as a trade by way of thanks...........

a "dark stem " perhaps ?

icon_thumleft
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

My pleasure Arlon icon_thumleft

If anyone is holidaying on Crete this summer you can see a nice white flowered version of Dracunculus vulgaris on that island. :mrgreen:

http://gallery.plantdelights.com/v/Cret ... 2.jpg.html

Thanks,
Tony