Philodendron selloum

jungle jas

Philodendron selloum

Post by jungle jas »

Hi folks,any one know the accurate minimum temperature at which this plant expires at? I have been told -3c to -7c. Any advance? Thanks.
Troppoz

Re: Philodendron selloum

Post by Troppoz »

Definitely not -7C!! I think -3c would see it off in the UK though in warm temperate areas it can see off frosts below that as long as the temperatures rise above 12c during the day.

Its tough for a philodendron, but not tough enough to survive winter outdoors in the UK.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Troppoz wrote:Definitely not -7C!! I think -3c would see it off in the UK though in warm temperate areas it can see off frosts below that as long as the temperatures rise above 12c during the day.

Its tough for a philodendron, but not tough enough to survive winter outdoors in the UK.
Thanks Troppoz, looks like a potted plant in the UK then. icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

[attachment=0]Nov pics3 046.JPG[/attachment}I had mine planted out in winter, but I cheated. I plunge the pot and took it inside when the first freeze arrived. It did well in cold ground frost weather though followed by mild days. It now overwinters in heated schoolrooms icon_thumleft

This was it sitting pretty in the previous winter.
Attachments
Nov pics3 046.JPG
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

GREVILLE wrote:[attachment=0]Nov pics3 046.JPG[/attachment}I had mine planted out in winter, but I cheated. I plunge the pot and took it inside when the first freeze arrived. It did well in cold ground frost weather though followed by mild days. It now overwinters in heated schoolrooms icon_thumleft
I wish I could persuade the Government to to pay the plant heating bills for me as well Greville. Good on ya. :lol:
Does it grow well in the the summer? icon_thumright
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Yes, Jas, it's a double plant and both are forming trunks. Two or three leaves in summer. I should repot it as I've kept it in the same small tub for many years and the ariel roots are going round and round the top of the tub. I either plunge the pot or stick it in a dish and hide it in the foliage of my shady 'rain forest' (of sorts) border.