Boil in the Bag brings Alocasia back to life

The Codfather

Re: Boil in the Bag brings Alocasia back to life

Post by The Codfather »

So its now off the rad......what temps will it be getting now where its at and how much water.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Interesting read, that's some fast growth.

My burgundy stem was overwintered in my unheated greenhouse in 2011, it died right down went mushy and I cut it off at soil level. Around march (2012) I tipped it from the pot as the soil was damp (had not been watered for months).
I reported it into dry compost and left it in the greenhouse and within a few weeks it was shooting thru the soil.
Last match was much sunnier and my greenhouse was pretty warm. The plant didn't get very big mind, but was just happy to see it Alive.

Seeing this thread has urged me to go take a look at it again, its at the back of the greenhouse so not seen it since November lol. I will probably repot it again into fresh dry compost but I can't see it doing anything in these temps.
Last edited by Delboy on Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Completely ignore me mine is a a COLOCASIA burgundy stem lol......had just got up as working nights :oops:

On a side note tho i repotted it and it already had some new shoots icon_cheers
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Day 22 Trying to wean it off the heat now, as other things need the heater top. Temps allowed to drop to the low 20sC before it goes back on the heater and up to 35C again. Can't count the pups now, but about 30 :lol:
Attachments
2013-03-16-17-32-58 Alocasia Black Stem.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by tropicalwon »

That is a beautiful looking plant Dave icon_salut .......Unbelievable how many pups it's produced so far.

You've plenty of back ups now.... icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

tropicalwon wrote:That is a beautiful looking plant Dave icon_salut .......Unbelievable how many pups it's produced so far.

You've plenty of back ups now.... icon_thumleft
Yes they are beauties, and now that LariAnn Garner has crossed it with Alocasia odora we could have one in future that doesn't have to sit on the heater to make it explode into growth. icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ourarka »

If I wanted to grow my Colocasia partially submerged in the pond this year, is there a minimum water temp before planting out ..... or just the normal minimum air temps?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

ourarka wrote:If I wanted to grow my Colocasia partially submerged in the pond this year, is there a minimum water temp before planting out ..... or just the normal minimum air temps?
A pond will keep it cool so don't expect vigorous growth. Last year the Colocasia in the pond grew 3 leaves. Generally, they grow 10 +
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ourarka »

So probably best around the pond, rather than in it?