Colocasia from seed

chrismc

Colocasia from seed

Post by chrismc »

Hi All,
im presuming you can grow colocasia from seed but ive rarely seen seeds on offer. Does anyone know where you can get UK hardy seeds from? I'm looking for the big ones so any advise is appreciated (Chiltern seeds comes up in google but by all accounts thats a small type)

thanks

Chris
Kristen

Re: Colocasia from seed

Post by Kristen »

The Good'Uns will probably be hybrids that don't come "true" from seed?

You can get "tubers" from Asian supermarkets - I've bought from
http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/fresh ... 3792-p.asp
their "Eddoes" are currently 30p each ... pot luck what you get, but mine had decent sized leaves

Their Curry Kits are good too (if you are looking to make up an order for the Carriage). We now rarely get a take-away Curry as we prefer the kits (you still have to cook some rice etc ... of course)

But if you have an Asian Supermarket near you it would be worth a look. Sal73 has one nearby and has posted of a huge variety of things grown from "finds" there :) Like this thread "Giant Alocasia from my local"
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 38#p341638
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

Thanks Kristen, I have a strong relationship with the Asian / West African grocers round here already (as in they look at me oddly when i say im planting the eddies, albi, dasheen theyre selling me). They also provide the seafood for my stingrays!
I guess what im after is to see if rather than buying a Giant cultivar tuber can i grow from seed (you never really know what you get with some of the veg, last year two of my tubers turned out to be some sort of ginger with a swollen round tuber ...its overwintering in the greenhouse now)
call

Post by call »

you have stingrays cool :D
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

call wrote:you have stingrays cool :D

same thing I was thinking they cost WAY to much for me to keep them in the US about 500 USD each. stick with my piranha's for now
call

Post by call »

and ive got to stick to my tetras, guppies and my chichlid
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Colocasia seed don't have any shelf life. and need to be sown immediately they are removed from the fruit. That is why they are not generally for sale, but if you get them dry, sow them straight in the bin as it will save you the wait to decide they are duds.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

the only seed I have seen that will keep for a long time is thai giant. Brian has a jar of around 20K seeds and uses them every year. no telling how old some of them are a few seasons at least.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

chrismc wrote:Thanks Kristen, I have a strong relationship with the Asian / West African grocers round here already (as in they look at me oddly when i say im planting the eddies, albi, dasheen theyre selling me). They also provide the seafood for my stingrays!
I guess what im after is to see if rather than buying a Giant cultivar tuber can i grow from seed (you never really know what you get with some of the veg, last year two of my tubers turned out to be some sort of ginger with a swollen round tuber ...its overwintering in the greenhouse now)
I would really love to see a pic. of your stingray,i have never heard of anyone keeping one as a pet before.
To keep it relevant to this forum,i want to compare it with an Alocasia Stingray :) I know you can buy them in the usa and Amulree have had them as,out of stock for years.Does anyone know where i can buy one in the uk or europe?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I looked at a new stingray hybrid yesterday they are calling it baby ray.. basically the same plant just in a very small compact form...also seen a sting ray for sale at the pet shop..200 USD I had to pass.