Sauromatum venosum

alain45

Sauromatum venosum

Post by alain45 »

Hello,
I ordered 2 bulbs of Sauromatum venosum. I read that this plant is resistant to cold. I guess I can plant them in the ground. My ground is dark and light. Do I need add gravel or other for better drainage??
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Sauromatum venosum

Post by Dave Brown »

They do require a reasonably well drained soil Alain, but are quite hardy here in SE UK. The main problem I have is they are so late to appear, it is normally after the planting out season has started. and I either dig them out, or impale them on the fork :roll: They don't seem to mind it though, coming back year after year and multiplying well.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by alain45 »

Thank you Dave icon_thumleft
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Im being sent some bulbs of this plant, apparently they are quite good in the tropics as well as cool temperate climes so are obviously quite adaptable plants. Im keen to see how they go.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Sauromatum venosum gets everywhere, as they seem to seed about. A flower has appeared on the middle of my Colocasia Mammoth clump lol. Flower opened today, but can't smell the carrion as is too windy, as usual :roll:
Attachments
2013-06-08-10-06-52 Sauromatum venosum.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

is that another trex pup as well?
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Mine two plants flowered about a month ago and are now well into leaf stage. As with last year, the flower lasts maybe two days and then collapses. It gets to about 18" high .
Last edited by Arlon Tishmarsh on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

no flower on mine yet but it is small.. going to pick up the Indian giant form from Brian next time im there. they are hardy here in KY so I know there fine in the UK
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

mine finally leafed out today icon_cheers
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

mine is in full leaf and I picked up an Indian Giant at Brians today.
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Lifted mine today - 6 large bulblils and a seed head full of seed. Am putting it out next to a wall with well draining soil. After flowering it trough up a lot of jungle leaves then pupped and now conker size bulbils. Am liking this plant more and more.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Blairs wrote:Lifted mine today - 6 large bulblils and a seed head full of seed.
Why are you lifting them ???? They are completely hardy down below -10C. They pull themselves down to below 6 inches (15cm)soil depth from seed, but once lifted will only be as deep as you put them.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Blairs »

Dave Brown wrote:
Blairs wrote:Lifted mine today - 6 large bulblils and a seed head full of seed.
Why are you lifting them ???? They are completely hardy down below -10C. They pull themselves down to below 6 inches (15cm)soil depth from seed, but once lifted will only be as deep as you put them.
Good point Dave. It was in a large trough with other plants and then the leaves seems to die back quickly a few weeks ago. There was little root when I lifted the bulb (size of turnip), so I think vine weevil got to it though I never found any and have been treating for them.

I have planted it close to the ground level and covered with a light mulch, so will plant them at least 6 inches deep, so you have been very helpful!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Blairs wrote:the leaves seems to die back quickly a few weeks ago. There was little root when I lifted the bulb (size of turnip), so I think vine weevil got to it though I never found any and have been treating for them.

I have planted it close to the ground level and covered with a light mulch, so will plant them at least 6 inches deep, so you have been very helpful!
They are the last plant to leaf up and the first to lose them. Many have gone over here already and I'm a few hundred miles south of you :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

I like them, many varieties as well,

I also like the Paulownia fargesii
When the old stem is cut back in February lots of purple shoots appear. You will need to rub off all except for one. By May it will be this size
http://www.devonsubtropicalgarden.co.uk/page21.htm

Red, my favorite color.
amorphophalluskonjac.JPG
Amorphophallus Konjac