Colocasia and min temperature

chrismc

Colocasia and min temperature

Post by chrismc »

Hi All,
As i'm quickly running out of window sill space (and the better halfs patience is also running low) i just wondered what the minimum growing temp for for colocasias may be. I'm talking the type you may get from a supermarket and "Black magic" . Ideally id like to move to the greenhouse (heated with a min of 5 maxing at around 27 atm) and i can see my Ensetes making moves in there atm.
(will Ricinus also cope at 5?)

hope you can help
allangreenbean

Re: Colocasia and min temperature

Post by allangreenbean »

My unheated conservatory went down to 5c regularly over winter and my colo's were find, dormant but fine.
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

I have a quite a lot of new growth on mine atm and id rather that continue. does this mean overnight 5= dormant?
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

They didn't grow much at all over winter and it was 5c most of the time in the conservatory.

They are growing now as when the sun comes out it can hit 25c in the conservatory.

The important thing is that they overwintered.

I watered sparingly also during the cold spell.

By dormant I just mean they stopped growing.
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

so moving them to the greenhouse wont make them stall?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

If temps are getting above 18C the eddoes will continue to grow, but wait for min temps to get to 10C before chancing Black Magic ;)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by otorongo »

Last weekend I planted a Colocasia esculenta in the ground, not sure what variety it is. It's covered with a bell cloche. Is it okay in the ground now? I think it gets to 30C or above under the cloche, but the bulb (or whatever these things are called) is 3 inches under the soil level. At night it should also be slightly warmer than the outside since the cloche is low in height so gets the benefit of ground heat, and the ground - I'm assuming - heats up in the day somewhat from the greenhouse effect.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Here, soil temp is lower than the average January, way to cold for any growth.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by chrismc »

IMAG0073.jpg
the smaller one i'll grow on but the purple veined ones can go in the greenhouse (i touched lucky in getting the same type as i grew last year with a purple middle)

Chris
Attachments
IMAG0072.jpg
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

They look fine to me, Chris icon_thumleft
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I have no idea how my A. macrorrhizos has survived. I've been looking for it for months , literally . I had given up ever seeing it again. Finally found it on the weekend in the greenhouse, nestled amongst some hosta green goddess propagations. The greenhouse has no doubt seen a couple of minus' but thankfully its still alive 'n' kicking and tbh doesn't look to bad after an entire winter in the g/h. Its in the heated prop now ..............
DSC03605 (Copy).JPG
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I know a lot of Colocasias would survive in such conditions, Arlon, but does your Alocasia have any roots? If they rot and the corm is still intact they would still restart. If you have roots then the pot must have been dry.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Surprisingly its all good Greville. A little pale as you can see in the pic but considering these are a slightly more difficult alocasia, i'm well pleased.
cruefan

Post by cruefan »

This being my first year exotic gardening , im wondering if its safe to plant out colocasia and alocasia that i have , we had a heavy frost last night but there isnt anymore forecast this week and it looks considerably warmer from next weekend.Should i plant now or how long shoul i wait.