Potting up eddoes

Tom and Shell

Potting up eddoes

Post by Tom and Shell »

At the weekend i will be potting up my 'tesco' Nampi Eddoes that have sprouted and have roots shooting out.
i know Y.K says 50/50 multi purpose compost and perlite, is there and sorts that would produce better results?
thanks Tom :?:
Kristen

Re: Potting up eddoes

Post by Kristen »

I think 50:50 is just meaning an "open compost" ?

personally I find that 50:50 used on anything drains so readily that it is a struggle to get it to have enough water, but YK certainly knows way more about this than I do. (I only ever use 50:50 for cuttings)
flounder

Post by flounder »

I'm with Lord Kristen on this one. I too have found 50/50 too quick for plants that require plenty of wet stuff. 80/20 should stop it looking claggy. Get ready with the feed though, they'll exhaust the mix in no time.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I know this sounds a bit silly but I just keep adding perlite until the mix feels right for the type of drainage the plant likes. I would say I use about 30 to 35% of perlite for colocasia or perhaps even a bit more and I also add a bit of loam to the mix (10-15%) either john innes or actual top soil (bought) as if the mix dries out too much it is easier to re wet and it also holds on to nutrients better. You could use 50% perlite and then have the plants in a tray of water this way the mix drains quickly and dries out quick if needed but the plants have the access to water they like when in active growth.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

i need to pot my eddoes up too i think, they have multiple pink shoots and white tangly roots sticking out! Is the time right? and with them being removed from the warm boilerroom, will I have to keep them near a warm radiator (albeit a little dark) or better in the light @ a south facing window?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Tom and Shell wrote:At the weekend i will be potting up my 'tesco' Nampi Eddoes that have sprouted and have roots shooting out.
i know Y.K says 50/50 multi purpose compost and perlite, is there and sorts that would produce better results?
thanks Tom :?:
Potting up in a free draining mix like I suggest minimises the chance of the roots rotting away if temps can't be maintained until planting in later in the season. ( This becomes even more important if potting up for winter storage. )Remember they wont be in there pots for too long so don't need a really nutritious potting medium so having a large amount of perlite doesn't do any harm. When they are planted out in late May to June they will get all the root space and fertilizer that they require.
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

thanks for the responses everyone
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

whats the crack with heat?

windowsill or next to radiator?
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

cordyman wrote:whats the crack with heat?

windowsill or next to radiator?
i think kris mentions bottom heat will get them going quicker.
im going to put the pots in a plastic bag and then on top of the boiler until they hopefully start shooting.
then hopefully a windowsill will be good enough until they go outside?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

2 times I have tried..2 times I have failed. bottom heat and all the only thing I end up with is mold and a bad smelling prop.
Tom and Shell

Post by Tom and Shell »

coming on great guns!!!! not bad for a first try icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
Attachments
IMG_0835.jpg
Wilza

Post by Wilza »

I've one that looks like that but just one stem that i planted straight into a pot in early May, I'd never grown one before. It's spent all it's time on the window sill and only had the sun for warmth. Great fun...