Covered bit Monstera deliciosa coming into flower 10/07/2008

bobbyd44

Re: Outside Monstera deliciosa coming into flower

Post by bobbyd44 »

missed out on a 5 foot one on freecycle would have tried it out side as well gutted!!
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

DiCasS wrote:I see it's called the fruit salad plant, so should be a nice tasty treat once it ripens
The fruit do have a very sweet taste, more like a pineapple flavour than anything else really. But you have to prepare them carefully as the fruit have tiny thorns which need to be wiped/rubbed off after peeling or they stick in to the inside of your mouth.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Sorry Nick, what I meant to say was leave it outside potted in the Summer and then bring it into the greenhouse over Winter. There's no chance of leaving it out here - even in a sheltered spot :cry: but if I see another one going on freecycle and I'm quick enough, then I'll give it a go. Must be worth a try.

Di

Rob that's bad luck you missing it, but they seem to come up on our freecycle quite regularly, so it's worth keeping an eye out.
Last edited by DiCasS on Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

bobbyd44 wrote:missed out on a 5 foot one on freecycle would have tried it out side as well gutted!!
Don't be too hasty to whack one outside exposed to the sky.... :lol: When I say outside, I mean not inside.... as most people have them as house plants. Mine is under cover, under a plocarbonate roof which is open fronted most of the year but has polycarbonate sliding doors put on over winter. These are left open apart from when frosty, but still went down to -4C in the Feb freeze this year. :roll:

I can't remember the thorns Pete, but is was a long time ago when I last had fruit. late 80s by memory. The fruit was the sweetest thing I have ever tasted. I couldn't eat more than a couple of mouthfuls before cringing with the sweetness :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright