Wrongly labelled - I.D. for this Colocasia?

GREVILLE

Wrongly labelled - I.D. for this Colocasia?

Post by GREVILLE »

Obtained what I thought was a Xanthosoma violaceum corm last year and as it grew out it was definitely a colocasia. I initially thought it might be dark stem hybrid as the stems had a dark colouration. This avoided becoming one of many casualties last Spring keeping a leaf or two through the long cold spell which suggested it was one of the hardier forms.

As it has become much bigger this year it has looked even less like burgundy stem/dark stem hybrid with the darker streaks on the stem all but fading. Certainly the leaf is more rounded. There is no tell-tale black line on the leaf edge and the eye on the front of the leaf is white rather than black or dark which most other colocasias including esculenta carry
Jul 13 Plants & Maria 100.JPG
It's certainly growing very well and there are signs of pups or runners developing at the base
GREVILLE

Re: Wrongly labelled - I.D. for this Colocasia?

Post by GREVILLE »

]View of the base of the stem:

[attachment=0]Jul 13 Plants & Maria 101.JPG[/attachment
Attachments
Jul 13 Plants & Maria 101.JPG
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Nice plant but don't know which one it is. icon_scratch
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Bumping this up again as I read a comment from Scott Radford made a couple of years ago about a Xanthosoma violaceum which [Quote] "turned out to be a dark streaked but greenish stemmed Colocasia with a nice distinct leaf veining that grew from the tubers..."

Could be the same as mine as it came from the same source.
Sept 2013 067.JPG
Don't think Scott has posted for some time but I hope he can match this updated pic, or anyone else who may recognise it.

Sept 2013 066.JPG
Close-up of stolons and clump-forming base
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

Xanthosoma saggitifolia? the leaf looks shiny enough
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Looks like a type of Colocasia esculenta to me. They come in all different shades of petiole.

This is a good one, so hang onto it icon_thumright

Scott's was a Dark Stem Hybrid :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Ask Arlon, I am sure he gave me a pup of one of these when we did trade couple years ago, sadly i lost mine. It may not be the same one but looks similar. I just can't remember the name. I think it began with an A sorry not much help i know.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Sorry Greville i was well off the mark mate, i found a picture of arlon's in an old e-mail. This is what i was talking about but totally not your plant.
Attachments
phpUpxzitAM.jpg
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

sanatic1234 wrote:Ask Arlon, I am sure he gave me a pup of one of these when we did trade couple years ago, sadly i lost mine.
Have another .......... icon_thumleft

I'm not sure if Grev's is a "dark stem" hybrid either. Here's a pick of one of mine and whats noticeable is the colour of the eye,unless of course being a hybrid makes that aspect a variable . All the eyes on my DSH are dark, Grev's is white , also the veining on Grev's seems to be a lot lighter. The stems on mine are dark all the way up the stem to the leaf joint. whereas Grev's are mainly green but again , that could be a possible variance in the hybrid..............

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
sanatic1234 wrote:Ask Arlon, I am sure he gave me a pup of one of these when we did trade couple years ago, sadly i lost mine.

I'm not sure if Grev's is a "dark stem" hybrid either. Here's a pick of one of mine and whats noticeable is the colour of the eye,unless of course being a hybrid makes that aspect a variable . All the eyes on my DSH are dark, Grev's is white , also the veining on Grev's seems to be a lot lighter. The stems on mine are dark all the way up the stem to the leaf joint. whereas Grev's are mainly green but again , that could be a possible variance in the hybrid..............

[ Image ]
Yes it is not DSH, I was just saying that Scott's was. It is an esculenta similar to Mammoth or Jack's Giant in leaf, but clearly not either due to the petiole colour. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Thanks for all the replies. They confirm I have some sort of esculenta hybrid/variant probably of 'Mammoth' proportions and definitely not Xanthosoma.

When I received the tuber, I had included with the delivery a 'Burgundy Stem' (actually DSH), Black Magic and Black leaf illustris. They were all identical Dark Stem Hybrid. The previous year saw Black Magic turn out to be fontenescii :roll:

Interestingly, the supplier sent a later delivery with true Xanthosomas and it must be said not many of the items received from them have been correct but the quality has been in most cases excellent.

I saw an Indian supplier on the net show a carbon copy of the same stock showing where the company based here source all their tubers and corms. Probably accounts for all the misnamed but high quality items.

You're right, Dave, it is a good'un. Don't want to lose it as there's no guarantee I'll get another :?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:

[ Image ]
I never seem to look at the spot in the leave Arlon :lol: I do it every time. As soon as i see your picture in the e-mail i thought hang on a minute it isn't the one. Yours has gotten to some size now arlon. Well done. icon_salut I lost mine in the winter it shut down then when i tried waking it in spring it rotted.

Hope you can find what it is greville. Are you on facebook? there is a alocasia/colocasia group on there. The amount of alocasias/ colocasias that get posted on there is unreal.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Good idea, San. I'm not on facebook but both my boys are. I'll get them to give the site a scrute. They usually help their crusty old dinosaur of a Dad when I display my ignorance of such things (pretence or otherwise :lol: ) I'll get them interested in aroids yet :wink:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

:lol: why not, you should hopefully get an ID on it. This is the name of the group. Planet Alocasia - Colocasia got members from all over the world on there.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Might be getting a little closer with an ID for this. Just got a Jack's Giant to go with a recently bought Mammoth since my mystery collie seems to be related to these. My mammoth has a white eye and the base of the petiole has a pinkish tinge to it so perhaps when it's bigger I'll get a better idea.....