Dividing/Seperating Colocasias

kiarancactus

Dividing/Seperating Colocasias

Post by kiarancactus »

Hello all!

I've been using this forum for ages but only now decided to create an account :)

I bought a couple eddoes from Morrisons to see if they would grow, and one of them has sent up loads of shoots,
now I'm wondering if I can separate these and put them into individual pots, as it looks like they might start getting pretty crowded if they all remain in one pot.

http://wp.me/a2hQ4E-1e

^^Hopefully that should go to a photo of the plant! icon_thumleft :?:

So if I can do this, what time of year is best?

Cheers!!

Kiaran icon_salut
Somerset77

Re: Dividing/Seperating Colocasias

Post by Somerset77 »

Hi, good to see another local person on here icon_cheers

I've only been growing exotics for 2 years but have learnt lots off the people on here! Invaluable icon_salut

If it was me I would leave plant as is but if the pot is getting smaller then just go up a size. I would leave the pups on until next spring then separate as long as they have plenty of roots.
I have separated mammoth pups when preparing to store dry for winter and kept them going as houseplant or in tunnel on heat mat with no problems. But I have also left them on the mother and stored them dry as one, again with no problems.
kiarancactus

Post by kiarancactus »

Haha thanks for the warm welcome! :alien:

I've also only been growing exotics for a short time, but it definitely is an addiction :)

Thanks for your tips, very handy. I've been repotting after I see that the roots are starting to burst out the bottom, so for now I'll just carry on doing that, and then - hoping that they survive the winter - I'll separate them in early spring as you suggest. I do have another plant in a similar state so I might try separating them in winter when they're dormant just to see which method is the best!
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

kiarancactus wrote:Hello all!

I've been using this forum for ages but only now decided to create an account :)
Welcome, Kiaran icon_cheers If you've taken this long to join the forum you may be called to account :lol:

I've separated many eddoes both now and early in the season and have success most times.