What's this on my Colocasia?

ourarka

What's this on my Colocasia?

Post by ourarka »

Just wondered if anyone can ID this problem with my Colocasia? It has happened ever since it accidentally dried out (I went away and my trusty waterer forgot it) and has never recovered. Some leaves are worse affected than others - is it spider mite? Think I might be able to see some fine webbing under the leaf? Apart from keeping humidity as high as possible, are there another solutions?
Attachments
image.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: What's this on my Colocasia?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Your photo looks very odd? Look like it's a leaf in a nice cube? Do you have any clearer images?
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

I'll try, but that leaf is realistic .... but is on a grey background which means it lacks contrast.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Is this any better?
Attachments
image.jpg
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Looks like mildew?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

What does the leaf feel like? Does it feel like it has a powdery coating. My first hunch is Red Spider Mite (because it normally is)
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Yes, does feel a bit powdery. It's strange - plant was great until it dried out and I almost lost it. Now, despite growing well and keeping moist, I can't get rid of this problem.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I would cut it all the way back to a corm and see how the new leaves come out then.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

If it is Red Spider Mite it will have travelled to the other leaves although they don't look affected. Check with a magnifier
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'd say Red Spider Mite, as it is a classic symptom after drying out. The leaf supplies enough sap all the time it is hydrated, but as soon as it become dry the mites dessicate it. Several of the older leaves are displaying the same problem.

I'd remove all the discoloured leaves and wipe the remaining ones over, top and bottom. Provado is supposed to get rid of them, but also SB Plant invigorator does well with mites
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ourarka »

I've cut right back, and will repot as it is very pot bound. What do you recommend I do with it after that? Warm and wet to getting going again?
Attachments
image.jpg