Alocasia robusta.

Alexander

Alocasia robusta.

Post by Alexander »

Anyone growing Alocasia robusta by the way? Its should be the aroid with the largest leaves in the World. Its found on Borneo. I have seen it ones in the wild, not far from Kuching in Kubah National Park on Kubah Hill. It grows there along one of the trails close to the Kubah Matang Waterfall waterfall.

www.trekkingsarawak.com/LocationPages/K ... rfall.html

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Alocasia robusta.

Post by Dave Brown »

It has tropical rainforest requirements, and they struggle to grow this even in Florida. LariAnn Garner is working on this to produce more cool tolerant hybrids. One such hybrid is called Alocasia x rubodora. It has some of the size of robusta,and some of the cool tolerance of odora.

Everyone who bought robodora had to sign an agreement not to propagate or sell, so I don't think anyone outside the US has this currently.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

I know that Alocasia robusta is an equatorial aroid and so canot stand any cold. But for a tropical greenhouse it would be great.

That hybrid would be very interestring!

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alexander wrote:I know that Alocasia robusta is an equatorial aroid and so canot stand any cold. But for a tropical greenhouse it would be great.

That hybrid would be very interestring!

Alexander
This is an interesting read
http://aroidiaresearch.org/alorobu.htm
and this is the robudora page
http://aroidiaresearch.org/arobudor.htm
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Well Alocasia robusta seems to be pretty difficuld in cultivation then. To bad.

Alexander
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I think one of Brians new ones will rival robusta..Ive also heard of a water aroid that could possibly have larger leaves than robusta
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

miketropic wrote:I think one of Brians new ones will rival robusta..Ive also heard of a water aroid that could possibly have larger leaves than robusta
Wich one is that then?

Alexander
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Alexander wrote:
miketropic wrote:I think one of Brians new ones will rival robusta..Ive also heard of a water aroid that could possibly have larger leaves than robusta
Wich one is that then?

Alexander
Don't think it has an official name yet. the one at his place is a monster. I posted a pic of it last year I will see if I'm allowed to post another..massive leaf size on it.

the water aroid I THINK is called cyrtosperma merkusii

there is also allegedly a valley some place in south america that holds giant xanthosoma like no one has ever seen... There is a old pic from the 70's floating around of a couple eatting under one like its a shade tree..
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

miketropic wrote:
Alexander wrote:
Wich one is that then?

Alexander
Don't think it has an official name yet. the one at his place is a monster. I posted a pic of it last year I will see if I'm allowed to post another..massive leaf size on it.

the water aroid I THINK is called cyrtosperma merkusii

there is also allegedly a valley some place in south america that holds giant xanthosoma like no one has ever seen... There is a old pic from the 70's floating around of a couple eatting under one like its a shade tree..
That Cyrtosperma merkusii is indeed a spectaculair plant! With the largest edible tuber in the World.
Its also called giant swamp taro.

Here a link to a picture.

worldbra1.org/floras-hidden-riches/

Alexander
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

That Cyrtosperma merkusii seems to be availble in the US.

davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1046312/

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alocasia robusta is the world record holder for the largest unsplit leaf, with a petiole and leaf blade of up to 6m (20ft) I don't think anything will beat it, but you never can be certain.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

Well I have seen the leaves of Alocasia robusta but they where a couple of meters. Not 6 meter.
But it was a big plant!

Alexander
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

Dave Brown wrote:It has tropical rainforest requirements, and they struggle to grow this even in Florida. LariAnn Garner is working on this to produce more cool tolerant hybrids. One such hybrid is called Alocasia x rubodora. It has some of the size of robusta,and some of the cool tolerance of odora.

Everyone who bought robodora had to sign an agreement not to propagate or sell, so I don't think anyone outside the US has this currently.

I have had both of these for a couple of years and thankfully died now,they are an illusion.I managed to keep robusta for a year and a bit but the bad winter temperature finished it off,thinking Robudura would be easier, it seemed to be to be only a glorified Odora.The two I had clung to life in the summer and got smaller each year.I got them from Lari Ann so I am sure they were genuine.I would have sold them on but she insists on a non disposal agreement which I signed.I think in hindsight they lasted three years but were more trouble than they were worth.The Robusta was kept under metal halide lamp throughout.Best kept away from .I saw a quote on Dave Garden I think, that Robusta will die if too wet,will die if too dry
will die if you look at them in a funny way,this poster was dead right.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

My robusta was not very robust at all Im afraid, even in my equatorial climate. It never grew more than 5 leaves, the largest of which was about 15cm, hardly impressive...

I had hoped that it would roar away this wet season but sadly it collapsed and died within a couple of days. When I lifted the corm it was just a shrivelled husk :( I contacted the ebay seller that I bought it from to see if she had another but it seems that her plant is on the decline as well and has no pups.

So this is definitely not a plant for the average garden in the tropics, I think anyone in the UK can forget about growing it to be honest...
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Perhaps they need to rename it Alocasia indivisa as has the same outlook on life as the Cordyline.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright