Colocasia Noble Gigante.

Alexander

Colocasia Noble Gigante.

Post by Alexander »

Anybody growing Colocasia Noble Gigante here? A very nice big purple Colocasia with Colocasia gigantea as one parent and a probably purple Colocasia esculenta.

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Colocasia Noble Gigante.

Post by Dave Brown »

Yes, I have 2, that arrived in early August. They don't seem to be the quickest Colocasia. but are a very good colour. The leaves emerging dark green with light green veins. They then darken to overall deep purple/black.

Here on arrival on 2nd August. The Nobles are at the front.
2013-08-02 15-08-36 Amulree Haul.jpg
Again here on 15th August
2013-08-18 11-36-02 Colocasia Noble Gigante.jpg
and today(15th September
2013-09-15 08-34-56 Colocasia Noble Gigante.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Somerset77 »

ive got two as well Dave. (x1 from Amulree & x1 from across the pond)

i also got a Dragon Heart Gigante which is out performing both of the Nobles!

perhaps next year will be a fairer race! :lol:
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Very nice! Where can you get them? They seem to be not from Plantdelight in Raleigh.

I want to plant them in the tropical butterflygarden. There in the heat they will grow much better I guess then outside.

Regards,

Alexander
brendan

Post by brendan »

Alexander wrote:Very nice! Where can you get them? They seem to be not from Plantdelight in Raleigh.

I want to plant them in the tropical butterflygarden. There in the heat they will grow much better I guess then outside.

Regards,

Alexander
http://www.urbanjungle.uk.com/category.asp?catcode=4
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Thanks!

Alexander
brendan

Post by brendan »

Somerset77 wrote:ive got two as well Dave. (x1 from Amulree & x1 from across the pond)

i also got a Dragon Heart Gigante which is out performing both of the Nobles!

perhaps next year will be a fairer race! :lol:
Colocasia Dragon Heart on the left and the Noble on the right both producing almost the same amount of growth in my greenhouse.These are going to be very interesting next year if I can get them through winter.
Attachments
colocasia collection 010.JPG
Rick1965

Post by Rick1965 »

Hi Brendan,

How will you overwinter them?
brendan

Post by brendan »

Rick1965 wrote:Hi Brendan,

How will you overwinter them?
Not quite sure yet I will probably pot down into free draining mix then keep in my cabin/summerhouse which is insulated and is heated to about 10 c with a couple of grow lights.This is how I over wintered most of my collies last year and most were fine.
Or they will be kept in my newly constructed insulated shed/greenhouse which has a polcarbonate roof with double glazed windows and doors but all the timber is insulated and boarded.This is not winter tested yet so not sure how warm I can economically keep it but should be good for getting them going again in spring.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alternatively you could let them dry off, and store the rhizome over winter, then start them off against next spring :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by brendan »

Dave Brown wrote:Alternatively you could let them dry off, and store the rhizome over winter, then start them off against next spring :wink:
I do this with my Mammoths and Jacks Giants as they take up to much room but I didn't know if these are going to be a little more hard work like Black Magic.Dave how are you going to over winter yours ?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

brendan wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:Alternatively you could let them dry off, and store the rhizome over winter, then start them off against next spring :wink:
I do this with my Mammoths and Jacks Giants as they take up to much room but I didn't know if these are going to be a little more hard work like Black Magic.Dave how are you going to over winter yours ?
Mine are too small to go dormant so will be given a place growing in the conservatory (min 5ºC)
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Alexander »

That C. Noble Giante seems to make plenty pups when it gets bigger.

You can overwinter Colocasias also as houseplant. On the dry side with arround 15 C and they stop growing then.

Alexander
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

when the new one comes out next year you all will forget all about poor Noble. I just got one the other day only because I didn't have one and I guess I should have. I've seen the parents of these and there still not as big as a regular thai but they do get very large and impressive. keep on the Noble it will perform well next year I'm sure