Colocasia gaoligongensis.

jungle jas

Colocasia gaoligongensis.

Post by jungle jas »

Bought a small one of these off eBay this week, 7cm pot, 2 leaves. I would like to keep it growing over the winter on a south facing window. Anyone succeeded in doing this? Any tips? Thanks. icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Colocasia gaoligongensis.

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

I tend to find with mine that they do better in a slightly shadier , cooler position, when planted out in the garden. They originate form the mountainous region of Gaoligong in China, perhaps thats why. I would think overwintering one on a window sill would be fine tho. I've raised loads of these from stolons and never had issue's with any of them but i do avoid strong sun when small.
greyhound

Post by greyhound »

I bought 1 of these 2 weeks ago also from e bay ,from a lovely lady in South Wales.it was a fairly small plant but very healthy I have potted it up into a 20 litre pot and if has put up 2 leaves already .Just like you I am hoping to overwinter it with all it's leaves.I currently keeping it in the heated conservatory at night but if the weather is above 10c I put if outside during the day.I have not grown Colocasia before so I am a complete novice.I am just assuming,maybe naively,that if you keep if above 10c and fairly dry it will retain its leaves over winter?????????? : : :?
K9's and exotic palms not a good combo K9's 5 :exotic palms 0
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thank you both for your input. Arlon, I will place it behind a larger plant to keep the winter sun off it, if we have any. :roll:

Greyhound, it sounds as if you got yours from the same place. I too have never grown Colocasia before so It's all guesswork for me to. You obviously think 10c will keep it growing, lets compare notes in the spring if we manage to keep them alive. :lol: icon_thumright
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

at least you both picked one that is very cold hardy..they come back with only mulch here in zone 6B
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Thats very encouraging Mike. Thanks. Yes I have been looking for one of these for some time due to its cold hardiness, lets hope they are as tough as they say. Im in a 9A area so I hope they will survive.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

I hadn't come across these, but after a bit of research following this post .... I definitely want one. They seem hard to track down - any tips? Also, does anyone know if they would be suitable as a pond marginal, or even an aquatic? Or do they need normal soil, but just plenty of water?
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I believe Dave B grows these, perhaps he can give you some extra information. icon_thumright The only place I have seen them for sale is eBay, but someone else may know better. :)