When I grow up I want to be an Alocasia

GREVILLE

When I grow up I want to be an Alocasia

Post by GREVILLE »

Started this Xanthosoma sagittifolium from a corm last May and it decided to develop Alocasia-type tendencies last month as the pointed end of the leaf turned upward.
Sept 2013 006.JPG

I realise what happened with this. I repositioned it against a fully planted backdrop so that the vigorous new leaf opened towards it and in an effort to reach the light flipped back on itself towards the main light source.
jungle jas

Re: When I grow up I want to be an Alocasia

Post by jungle jas »

You cant beat nature. icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They can't be watered too much, and must not completely dry out even if dormant. I had loads of dormant xanth rhizomes overwintered in dry compost and lost all except one pot. That one turned out was under a leak in the Lunar Module roof and remained damp. Seems above 5C in just moist compost is the order of the day for these :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

icon_cheers
Dave Brown wrote: Seems above 5C in just moist compost is the order of the day for these :wink:
Glad you said that, Dave. I was going to dry off the plant for winter and restart a bare rhizome next Spring. I think I should treat it more like an Alocasia and keep it just active with at least one leaf on the go.

Now righted itself a month later:
Sept 2013 063.JPG
You're right, Jas, nature rights it every time