Another overwintering post- sorry!

lulak10

Another overwintering post- sorry!

Post by lulak10 »

I got this colocasia Black Magic as a present from my mum. I've heard they're quite hard to get through the winter and I am a bit unsure what to do with it.

I could leave it in the greenhouse and hope for the best?!!

Or I could bring it indoors and have it in the kitchen by the back door - I've got big bifold doors and that's the warmest room in the house. But I have underfloor heating in there- would it be too much for it to be on the floor? My mum reckons it's going to be too hot for it in there. I really don't want to lose it as it was a gift :(

Any advice?
Ta
Attachments
2013-10-19 12.24.01 (768x1024).jpg
Somerset77

Re: Another overwintering post- sorry!

Post by Somerset77 »

I would treat as a house plant, by those doors would be best as that's what my parents do with theirs except for the underfloor heating though.
It will be fine just water from the bottom in a tray and don't worry. Just keep an eye out for spider mite and I would top dress with some gravel to keep those bloody compost flies away! icon_thumleft
lulak10

Post by lulak10 »

Thanks. I will try that.
Kreos

Post by Kreos »

Mine also stands at the south window. I hope it will last until spring. It's my first colocasia!
Attachments
black magic.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Black Magic is one of the worst to overwinter as they have a habit of not coming out of dormancy. Best to keep it growing in warmth, and as much light as you can give it :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by lulak10 »

So I put it in the kitchen by the doors and it seems to be happy there. Produced another leaf :). Hopefully I will get it through winter!!!
Attachments
2013-11-16 13.15.13.jpg
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Kitchen a good place..In a sunny window, even better.