DRY DRY storing colocasia Survey INFO pros/pitfalls etc

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

DRY DRY storing colocasia Survey INFO pros/pitfalls etc

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Post info here on the types of colocasia you have dry stored, how big are they? how long duration? temps stored at? How restarted in spring? etc etc.

I'll kick off. Last year I dry stored Sangria, Jacks Giant or Mammoth, Pink China, and regular eddoes. They were dry stored from mid October until Mid April. Kept at 15 plus degrees c indoors.

This is exactly how I did it:

sanatic1234

Re: DRY DRY storing colocasia INFO pros/pitfalls etc

Post by sanatic1234 »

Doing mine for the first time this year kris, after the rots of last year, so will let you know the results in April when i start them off mine will be stored at 15c. Need to dig them up yet though. :)
GREVILLE

Re: DRY DRY storing colocasia INFO pros/pitfalls etc

Post by GREVILLE »

Got some young tender ones which be kept gently active, but with black magic, burgundy stem, esculenta and pink china, I have multiples and I will be pairing off identical sizes, one tuber to dry off, the other to keep active. I want to see what the differences are the following year.
leunerj

Re: DRY DRY storing colocasia Survey INFO pros/pitfalls etc

Post by leunerj »

This is brilliant Kris. Thanks for making/posting this video icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Somerset77

Post by Somerset77 »

I overwintered only 'Mammoth' & standard esculenta last winter using similar method to Kris.
I had various sized tubers with the smallest being approx 50p size!
Can report that ALL survived, irrelevant to their size!
The mammoth was kept upright on newspaper in the spare room, whereas the others were individually wrapped in paper and stored in a cardboard box in my wardrobe.
Checked probably once a month for signs of rot etc.
Temps were possibly in the 18-20 degree range but didn't really think to keep a record.

The only thing I done different was I went straight to potting up WITHOUT the extra treatment as per the video.

All in all a roaring success! icon_cheers

When I've got more back ups to my other types then I will try more.

Here's a pic of my mammoth before being potted up. Note the lack of shrivelling up of stem! Haven't worked out why yet?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (45.06 KiB) Viewed 3878 times
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Probably because light was not exluded and was probably growing slightly. icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
franckm

Post by franckm »

Thanks Kris. Very interesting video. I'll try to proceed this way to overwinter mine.

Franck 8)
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I cleaned the roots and dirt off most of mine as well as cutting back any top rot from the drying process. I will take pics when I begin to store as the second wave was no where near dry yet... One thing I will suggest is a chemical called Bromide. It is used to keep bacteria out of hot tubs. it is 100% safe for the plants and a crushed up tab or 2 in your storage box will keep the rot away
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have done this is the past sucessfully, then mostly overwintered mine in the green, but I suffered so many loses when March 2013 was the coldest month of the winter, that I'll revert back to the dry store method.

The only things I do differently is to cut leaves, stems and roots off after digging up. This is due to space as I have quite a few to do.

I have also lifted clumps of Mammoth and just sat them bare root in the conservatory with min 6C, and that works well also :wink:

I did try sitting rhizomes with roots in water all over winter, but found there was no real advantage when it came to growth in spring, but increased the humidity of the conservatory.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

I checked the first wave I dug up and it is comming along wonderful. found a tiny bit of mold where I didn't cut my sts back far enough..the second wave is drying much slower and I did have one rotten one already. Once they are good and ry I will take pics, maybe some later. I just got a bunch of mesh bags to put them in as well so pics later.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

as promised a few pics of the tubers drying. I will let them go as long as possible to make sure I leave the least chance of rot possible. most of these got a dose of H2O2 today just to make sure, thats why they look bit wet in the pics

some of the mammoth

diamond head and mojito

Elana

ruffles

More of the big mammoths, not near ready yet

when there all dry and ready to store they go in these,of like a plastic mesh fruit bag.. then into a cooler with bromide
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mike yours look much big than mine (and maybe others from the UK?) especially the Diamond heads and mojitos.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

that is part of the reason I tell people from the UK to keep Mojito going over winter. I get the hot summers and I feed them more than anyone would believe on here so I get very large tubers, which helps them store over winter. Where you all are not so much on the food and have a cooler climate I would say in 3 years you will have a tuber like I have in 1. That is all I can really attribute to the larger tubers. Those Mojitos are about the size of your average eddoes you all buy from the market. More food should get you guys bigger tubers and help with winter storage in the future. all those mammoths came from 4 original tubers so I think the food also helps them divide and make more
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Higher temperatures that you get allow you to feed them more so it's win win for you guys in the states. We can over feed them here.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

very possible, it seems no matter how much I give them they eat it up..I go through about a pound and a half of water sol. fert a week just on those. the bananas get a diff kind and it last a bit longer. I still say its not the size of the tuber its how well its stored. when I go to start them back I will pick out a few marble size tubers and take a pic..thena pic of the plant at seasons end to show what they can do even at that size if stored right.