DRY DRY storing colocasia Survey INFO pros/pitfalls etc

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: DRY DRY storing colocasia Survey INFO pros/pitfalls etc

Post by Dave Brown »

More of mine are being chopped this weekend as the polytunnel has had it, after 4 years, and due to circumstances beyond my control, won't be replacing it. This means much more will be crammed into the Lunar Module and things like Colocasia that can be cut back and stored dry, will be, to allow more room. Also there is not going to be any lighting used over winter, just basic survival heating, and a fan coming on for 15min in every hour.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

Thought I would put this up real fast. This a "electric blue gecko" tuber..smaller than a bottle cap I will overwinter dry. I will keep track of where I plant it next year and show the growth after it has been dry stored all winter.

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Good luck with that one Mike.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

It will make it I'm sure of it, I will keep everyone updated though. Need to go check on my others and see how there comming along
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

feeling very gutted ATM.. My after the record low temps here I am going to assume that my storage area hit record lows as well. I went to find tuber today that had popped like frozen eggs and turned to mush. I would say there is a 75% lose on this winter. I did have at least 1 of everything growing in a different location so all is not lost but it is a set back. If I can get a good hot 30c summer I can re coupe in a years time I think. Moral of the story..dry cool storing is great..dry COLD storing is not. Wish I could have prevented it but who knew this would be the worst winter in 20 years here..
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

Don't give up on the tubers immediately Mike. The ability of Colocasias to regenerate from a tiny little bit of undamaged tuber is amazing so don't throw them out until Spring.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

That is gutting, I kept them at around 20 degrees in the house with no issues. At least you have a great summer climate for those that did survive to grow well.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Yes I can recover but still hurts so much. they were all perfect until the 3 or 4 days or -30c..then it was all over. they looked like boiled eggs popped open and white goo comming out of them..horrible sight. I contacted a friend already and he will replace most of them for me in exchange for a trade down the road so all is not lost.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

miketropic wrote:Yes I can recover but still hurts so much. they were all perfect until the 3 or 4 days or -30c..then it was all over. they looked like boiled eggs popped open and white goo comming out of them..horrible sight. I contacted a friend already and he will replace most of them for me in

exchange for a trade down the road so all is not lost.
Its good to have friends like that.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Ouch, that must have really hurt as you say, Mike. Good you can get hold of replacements, though. I'd hang on to the remnants as was suggested to see if any resurrect themselves. If so, the event will give you a learning curve to ease the pain.