Multi trunk Alocasia

derrick

Multi trunk Alocasia

Post by derrick »

I see Amuluree have some multi trunk Portidora for next year .I wouldn't mine a large one of these .
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Multi trunk Alocasia

Post by Dave Brown »

derrick wrote:I see Amuluree have some multi trunk Portidora for next year .I wouldn't mine a large one of these .
it isn't Portidora, it's official name given by the hybrid creator, LariAnn Garner, is Alocasia x portora, and I have never seen a multi trunked one. The trunks are about 15cm (6in) diameter, so multi trunk must be huge plants.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

I've got a 'double' portora from last season's Amulree sale (worth the wait) but it's nowhere near big enough to be trunked. Mind you, it might not be long - it's in the warm and still growing.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This is my single trunk A x portora rhizome before I restarted it in May 2012, and again in July 2012. Like I said a multi-trunk plant will be HUGE If it isn't huge, it isn't potora :wink:
Attachments
2012-05-16-19-05-58 Alocasia x portora rhizome.jpg
2012-05-16-19-05-58 Alocasia x portora growth.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fern Rob »

What happened for you to re start the plant?
derrick

Post by derrick »

It down as multi trunk 60cm Portodora 150 pound or 112pound if you pay before .They also have Calidora at 1 meter not multi trunk .And also multi trunk Macrorrhizos at 60cm all not cheap.For next year
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

fern Rob wrote:What happened for you to re start the plant?
It went dormant Rob, so I started it off in a much smaller tub. They don't do well in winter if overpotted as they stay too wet.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

Mines growing at slow rate. It was a student house plant for years .I keep mine in a small pot in south facing window for winter . It does go dormant if I don't water it for a time .If it does go dormant a little water and its off again. At room temperature I cant over water it . But outside can loose its roots and go dormant if to cold or dry .I cant kill the thing its just been a little slow . I have killed a Odora before from over watering but not this one .My other Alocasia I water from below in the winter months but this one don't care .
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It did well judging from the pictures.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

fern Rob wrote:It did well judging from the pictures.
I used to really fear dormancy as they were not easy to wake up again, but with heat and water they come back reliably now. The bigger the rhizome the larger the leaves and they grow a leaf in 3 weeks to a month. If you look closely the big plant only has 3 leaves so can easily reach that size in 3 months from starting the rhizome :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

any of them will multi trunk if you grow out the basal pups..I wouldn't pay more for somthing I could do myself