colocasia gigantea

simonjohn

colocasia gigantea

Post by simonjohn »

Hello guys. Im having great difficulty obtaining one of these plants. Anyone have an idea where i can get one from?
miketropic

Re: colocasia gigantea

Post by miketropic »

There not really very common over here but a few places have them..I have a nice one potted in storage not sure how it will fair but its claimed to be winter hardy here in zone 6. not seen them referenced much on the board so I would say there not to common
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Search on ebay and save that search, that way when they come up you will be emailed.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Is it the ordinary C gigantea you are after, or 'Thai Giant' ? If the latter the 'Thai Giant' bit is the important part. They require a very warm climate to get HUGE, but make a fair size here in a warm sheltered location.
Attachments
2013-08-30 10-26-54 Trunky west border view.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Dave did you keep yours in its pot all summer or plant it ????? I planted mine and I am wondering about next year ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

damn, I wish I could grow these
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I think he is after C gigantea..that is the one I was reffering to anyways with the pucker marks on the backs of the leaves
simonjohn

Post by simonjohn »

it was the thai giant.. whats the best giant strain I can grow in the uk?? I have 3 taro rhizomes in pots already but I wanted a big boy!! the 3 rhizomes I planted have been in for 3 weeks with no signs of life yet
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

guess he was talking abou the other then Dave..my mistake
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

ditto - Want one.........anybody any links?
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

So who is bidding on these on ebay? Seem to be going for £20 at the mo... :(
benbaron

Post by benbaron »

I had a small bid but looking more closely at the picture it is totally photoshopped = I wont be bidding again. Im not sure I trust these are actually what you are bidding on.

(im not just talking about blurred face - check out her fingers with green and the missing end of leaves..)
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

benbaron wrote:I had a small bid but looking more closely at the picture it is totally photoshopped = I wont be bidding again. Im not sure I trust these are actually what you are bidding on.

(im not just talking about blurred face - check out her fingers with green and the missing end of leaves..)
It is a risk that you get an eddoe or nothing at all, hence I think £20 is nuts.
acphm

Post by acphm »

Hello,

I have for sale:
- Colocasia Gigantea
- Colocasia Gigantea "Thai Giant"
- Colocasia Black Magic (matt black)
- Colocasia Black Coral (black shiny)
- Colocasia Nancy's Revenge
- Colocasia Tea Cup

Now all have goog size to ship, between 10-20cm heigh.
If you are interested send me a PM.

Colocasia Gigantea, Black Coral and Nancy's Revenge
TC3_13-176A_5093.jpg
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

benbaron wrote:I had a small bid but looking more closely at the picture it is totally photoshopped = I wont be bidding again. Im not sure I trust these are actually what you are bidding on.

I got one (well actually, alocasia calidora) - arrived today and seems OK. Was £4 + £3 postage, so not bad.