Starting off colocasia esculenta

L33ETH1

Starting off colocasia esculenta

Post by L33ETH1 »

Hi all

Just received delivery of 3 colocasia bulbs and was wandering when (time of year) and how most people plant out their colocasias. Do I need to start them off indoors and provide extra heat?

Any good tips or pointers would be great.

Thanks in advance

Lee
Blairs

Re: Starting off colocasia esculenta

Post by Blairs »

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/page.php?id=51

I find a bag can cause mould though, so I put in a slightly damp kitchen roll in a tupperware box then add the Colocasia/eddoes, close the lid and leave somewhere warm: my hot water tank.
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

Thanks for the reply.

When do you normally start "warming" them up? I.e what month? Also how long would you leave them and wgst stage would you plant them out?

Thanks.

Lee
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

If you have space for them inside for a few months then start them now as you have fresh rhyzomes. I leave them in a warm place until the greenshoots pop up to say 1-2 cm. At that stage the roots and leaves will be seen. I then pot up and place in a south facing window. Pot out from May.
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

Thanks. At what depth do you normally plant them?
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

L33ETH1 wrote:Thanks. At what depth do you normally plant them?
The brown tuber bit? I have experimented with leaving them sticking out to buying them a few inches and it makes no difference. I think they look better with the tuber hidden.
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

I agree. I'll plant it at a reasonable depth. I think it'll give it a bit more stability in the ground/pot anyway.

Thanks for the advice
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

I put the bulbs in a container as suggested and within days they were covered in mould. Decide to shallow pot them in compost on a warm windowsill to see how they get on that way.

I'll post results as I see any progress

Lee
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Can I plant a tuber in the ground outside now or would it rot?
L33ETH1

Post by L33ETH1 »

They're susceptible to frost so that's why it's recommended that they're started off indoors until all chance of frost has passed.