Colocasias on the move

GREVILLE

Colocasias on the move

Post by GREVILLE »

With Spring in the greenhouse running all winter, all the hardier collies have been active. Esculenta, pink china and burgundy stem and sangria are all on second leaves and pups, divisions and stolons from these have been moving also. Fontenescii has been on weak bottom heat and is now carrying it's third healthy leaf. Sharing the same warmth, my mystery colocasia that I bought as Xanthosoma violacea kept its last leaf from the Autumn in good condition and is now sending up a big new one.

The more tender types were kept on slightly stronger bottom heat and were only briefly dormant in January. Noble gigantea, Dragon heart, Black magic, Mammoth and Jack's giant are all pushing their first leaves for the season. Only lime green gecko amongst them hasn't moved, but today the tip of a new roller is showing.

I didn't succeed with a couple of others as small plants which were badly damaged in the post last autumn. Elepaio and Nancy's revenge went into early dormancy as a consequence and have failed despite a spell in the boiler room.

What a contrast to last Spring's efforts.

How are yours doing?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Colocasias on the move

Post by Dave Brown »

Missed this when you posted.

By contrast I have lost loads of Colocasia this winter, mainly through not having time to pay them any attention :(

but potted up Colocasia 'Pink China' today. Several clumps around the Ensete Hiniba had to be dug out at the time Hiniba was brought in for winter. These were left dry with soil around them over winter then dumped in a trays of water at the beginning of March. They burst into growth quite quickly once wet.

I have several 3 litre clumps and about 20 smaller clumps and stolon ends.
Attachments
2014-03-21 11-14-52 Coli Pink China tray.jpg
2014-03-21 11-15-46 Coli Pink China.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ourarka »

Managed to keep my Black Magic going all winter indoors, and my new Gaoligongensis is on the move. Just wondered - picked up in an old thread about growing collies/cannas as virtual aquatics and they talked about potting up with gravel. What substrate would you recommend for that purpose? Is it JUST gravel, or gravel on top to weigh it down?
pdid

Post by pdid »

I've decided these need too much TLC over winter to feature heavily in my garden. The Mrs won't have them in the house and I'm not prepared to heat the greenhouse anymore than being frost free. What I have left (mostly mammoth) will be treated as other frost free plants and if they die they die.
Somerset77

Post by Somerset77 »

ourarka wrote:Managed to keep my Black Magic going all winter indoors, and my new Gaoligongensis is on the move. Just wondered - picked up in an old thread about growing collies/cannas as virtual aquatics and they talked about potting up with gravel. What substrate would you recommend for that purpose? Is it JUST gravel, or gravel on top to weigh it down?
for me 'ruffles' grows very very well and big in a basket with nothing else but gravel in there! The lush white roots go everywhere and go along the bed of the pond amongst all the sediment etc.
i posted a pic of the above on another thread regarding this very question end of last summer. i will see if i can find it icon_study

Found the thread here: http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 09&t=20982
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

pdid wrote:I've decided these need too much TLC over winter to feature heavily in my garden. The Mrs won't have them in the house and I'm not prepared to heat the greenhouse anymore than being frost free. What I have left (mostly mammoth) will be treated as other frost free plants and if they die they die.

i'm of the same opinion, mine stay out and if they survive great. If not trip to Tesco to restock and take part int he lucky dip :lol:
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

I brought 6 eddoes around 2 weeks ago and 3 now have green shoots showing.
Do I pot them up now or wait a little longer
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote:
pdid wrote:I've decided these need too much TLC over winter to feature heavily in my garden. The Mrs won't have them in the house and I'm not prepared to heat the greenhouse anymore than being frost free. What I have left (mostly mammoth) will be treated as other frost free plants and if they die they die.

i'm of the same opinion, mine stay out and if they survive great. If not trip to Tesco to restock and take part int he lucky dip :lol:
Pink China is hardy to zone 7 in US and are certainly hardy here. Also one of the first to move in spring :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Blairs »

I was a big girl and over wintered all my aroids indoors and they have done fine, unsurprisingly. Alocasia macrorrhiza is looking especially superb and reaching for the ceiling in all its green gloss goodness. Black magic is looking ok - would prefer it is was more black and less 'magic'.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Almost a month on and all collies have added one or two leaves and almost all that had an overwintered leaf have now lost them save for fontenescii.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I've got to wait at least a few more weeks before I let them loose or they will be to big and fragile in the house till its time to go outside
pdid

Post by pdid »

Dave Brown wrote: Pink China is hardy to zone 7 in US and are certainly hardy here. Also one of the first to move in spring :wink:
Thanks for the offer Dave, yeah I'll give one a go if you've got one going spare :lol: icon_thumright