Alocasia calidora problem.

Springy

Alocasia calidora problem.

Post by Springy »

I have a problem with my alocasia calidora. I have kept it in my unheated outhouse this winter with no problems at all. Just over a week ago I brought it into the house, gave it a dash of water and placed it in the "sunroom" to grow it on a bit ready for planting out this year again.
Since then the leaves have started to die back. All this has happened very quickly. Is it just adapting to its new warmer environment or is it on its way out?!
Will its leaves die back and then it push out some new ones?!

Any advise would be appreciated. icon_salut
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Alocasia calidora problem.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

It's gone dormant. Either play the waiting game or bake it like Dave Brown does.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:It's gone dormant. Either play the waiting game or bake it like Dave Brown does.

Thanks Kris!
But why would it try to go dormant when I have brought it into a lighter, warmer place? icon_scratch
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Springy wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:It's gone dormant. Either play the waiting game or bake it like Dave Brown does.

Thanks Kris!
But why would it try to go dormant when I have brought it into a lighter, warmer place? icon_scratch

I'm GUESSING that it was just starting to go dormant before it was brought into a warmer place, perhaps the roots had already rotted off and the warmth sped up the process?
Springy

Post by Springy »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Springy wrote:

Thanks Kris!

I'm GUESSING that it was just starting to go dormant before it was brought into a warmer place, perhaps the roots had already rotted off and the warmth sped up the process?
Yep that makes sense as I remember that there was a small offshoot that I pulled out of the pot as it had what I think is called botrytis. It had a mouldy mildew type growth on it.

It's a shame because it looked really green and healthy until I brought it in! :roll:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Just give it some bottom heat.....and no water for a while.....use a moisture meter. icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

i've got two of these in my unheated poly, i'll have to check on them this weekend. :shock:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Codfather wrote:Just give it some bottom heat.....and no water for a while.....use a moisture meter. icon_thumright
It will stay dormant under those conditions Coddy. Needs to be warm and wet to restart.

It probably went dormant sometime ago, and bringing it from cold damp air to warm dry air just dried the leaves out with no sap rising to replace it.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I said give it warmth.....no more water as it has plenty if it's wet......and use a moisture meter to help gage when to water it again.... icon_scratch
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Are they easy to restart?
Springy

Post by Springy »

Thanks for the advise. I don't have any heat source other than the top of a radiator but I guess that would be too warm? icon_scratch
Still looks sick today but the decline is slowing down now I would say.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Your next leaf would come out of the bent stems' petiole. Can you tie that up with a cane to encourage the new leaf to open?
Springy

Post by Springy »

GREVILLE wrote:Your next leaf would come out of the bent stems' petiole. Can you tie that up with a cane to encourage the new leaf to open?
That's a good point! Thanks for the advise, I have done just that. icon_salut

Now I've also got to get some life out of this one! It's colocasia 'Nancy's revenge' apparently!
Just put it into a heated propagator tonight to see if I can get it to do something!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Hope you're successful with Ali cali, Springy. I acquired mine last autumn and kept it in the warm. It's given me two full leaves to date.

Can't say the same for my Nancy's revenge, however. Got this at the same time but it was damaged in transit and despite the warm cossetting it shrivelled its way to dormancy and then the corm shrivelled to nothing. Would like to take my revenge out on the carrier! I think your Nancy will respond with warm TLC, however.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

GREVILLE wrote:Hope you're successful with Ali cali, Springy. I acquired mine last autumn and kept it in the warm. It's given me two full leaves to date.

Can't say the same for my Nancy's revenge, however. Got this at the same time but it was damaged in transit and despite the warm cossetting it shrivelled its way to dormancy and then the corm shrivelled to nothing. Would like to take my revenge out on the carrier! I think your Nancy will respond with warm TLC, however.
Where did you get the Nancy's revenge from? Would like to try one.