Arrival of a new colocasia plant question

Lake district sam

Post by Lake district sam »

Hello I have been waiting to order Colocasia gaoligongensis for some time. It just came available so I got 1 and it arrived yesterday. It's my first colocasia and I'm unsure of the best way to keep it over winter. In a pot or dry as I wasn't sure if it will be big enough to survive dry. Any tips anyone?
Many thanks Sam
It is a plant with stems around 10 inches long 1 green leaf the other a little yellow I assume from the time of year but this being my first colocasia I'm guessing
Last edited by Lake district sam on Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

Hello Sam. Sorry I can't answer your question. Someone will be along soon.
tatter

Post by tatter »

HI Sam and welcome is it growing at moment or a dormant tuber?
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Lake district sam

It is a small plant it's currently potted in a very well insulated garage
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Welcome to the forum, Sam.

I've never kept gaoligongensis but know they are one of the hardier colocasias. It should still grow well enough outside this time of year and would be inclined to have it outside in good light. Probably OK in its pot. Many overwinter well outside but don't know how cold your area gets. It might be a little late to establish it before the cold weather sets in.
Lake district sam

Thanks for that.
Gets down to around -12 frosts are early this year had four already last night was -4 that's why I have put it in.
Would it be best just to keep it as it is in the garage over winter and just give it minimal water? The garage is very well insulated and also has a double glazed sky light so it will still get natural light
Lake district sam

On another subject are their any companies better for buying your tropical from? I only ask as I have just moved house and my old tropical garden was 7ft x 12ft and the new 1 is 40ft x 50ft so I'm gonna need a lot more
daz h

Post by daz h »

Never grown that type but for the last couple of years I've just kept my colocasia potted in a unheated greenhouse with bubble wrap around the pots and a bit of fleece over the top .they die right back and I don't water them at all until spring. I do store a few I've dug up dry in the house but the potted ones start much earlier and grow much more strongly than the dry stored ones.
It can still get well into the minuses (-4 or 5) in my greenhouse so they should be fine in your garage .
tatter

Post by tatter »

Lake district sam wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:02 am On another subject are their any companies better for buying your tropical from? I only ask as I have just moved house and my old tropical garden was 7ft x 12ft and the new 1 is 40ft x 50ft so I'm gonna need a lot more
I have no hesitation in recommending Hardy Palms in Bristol -Nigel is very friendly knowledgable and plants always top quality. Seagrave nursery for tree ferns.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Some good advice here, Sam. If you are keeping it in your garage for the winter you would be right to reduce the watering. You don't want your colly to be fully active in the winter when light levels are low particularly in your garage where the only natural light is the overhead skylight. The plant would easily weaken and there could trouble restarting it in the Spring.

When Spring comes around next year it will want more water again but at the same time consider it's need for good light and it should get off to a good start. That would be the time to transfer it to a good moisture retentive but free draining site. All you would need to do for the following winter is thick mulch before cold sets in.