Introducing Colocasia Jacks Giant ( Jack's Giant )

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Introducing Colocasia Jacks Giant ( Jack's Giant )

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi All,

Having seen posts on Colocasia Jack's Giant and the size of the leaves, I had a search around and have managed to get hold of a Junior Jack icon_thumleft I'm going to trial him to see how well he copes with the UK Climate, OK I know I am in one of the warmer bits of it, but it is a start point.

Basically Jack seems to be an antiquorum type in that he does not have stolons (runners) instead only producing pups, as in eddoes. Also I have been told it is not the most prolific pupper around, so before anyone asks, it will be a wait and see exercise.

Jack arrived on 20th September 2008 as below.

Jack unpacked and in good condition icon_salut with a 22cm leaf icon_thumleft
20092008 Jack 1.jpg
Next as we are well on the way to the dark dismal months I decided to remove any fleshy leaf bases and fibre from the young rhizome to help reduce the risk of rot setting in. Here is Jack cleaned up, exhibiting a good set of roots
icon_thumright
20092008 Jack2.jpg
Then to the potting compost :wink: as we are going into the winter period shortly I decided on a well drained mix to avoid excess moisture. I went for a Peat mp, coir, perlite mix in equal parts. Jack was potted up leaving his rhizome up above the compost level. This is to allow the top to remain dryish to avoid rots. The level was then raised with fine gravel to just the top of the rhizome. His leaf had set bent over during transit so he needed to be held in position with ty-rap and tent peg :roll:
20092008 Jack 3.jpg
He was then put in a cool shady place in the conservatory to settle in :wink:

After 2 weeks he was moved up onto the south facing kitchen windowsill to try and coax some growth before the winter sets in as Colocasia don't need massive amounts of light to grow. within a couple of days in warmer brighter conditions, Jack was awake, and the first new leaf started to emerge icon_thumright icon_thumright This grew rapidly and after 7 days is almost as big as the leaf it arrived with. This leaf is 19cm which is not bad after the termoil he has been through.
15102008 Jacks Giant 001.jpg
There no stopping Jack now... :lol: a second new leaf is emerging. Wow, less than a month ago he was bare root in a box, and now settled in and on a second leaf, so good going icon_cheers So far so good, but a long way to go. Will we be having a a Jacko leaf competition in 2010 :lol:
15102008 Jacks Giant 003.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Introducing Jack

Post by mikefromniagara6b »

Hi Jack (remind me to never put those two words together again!). Welcome to Dave's garden (or is that another board?)
There no stopping Jack now... a second new leaf is emerging. Wow, less than a month ago
Here there would be. It is called upcoming frost. Nice that you have a bright warm place for him. He should be huge by next summer.
Guy

Re: Introducing Jack

Post by Guy »

Great to see Dave. Certainly if you can get the right conditions, Coli's grow spectacularly. My small Burgundy Stem plant is only a couple of months old but already hitting over five foot in the greenhouse. Get it right they romp away. Get it wrong and they fall over and rot. Sounds a good mix to over winter in. Just missing the cat litter :lol:
Look forward to both seeing it and trying to grow one next year.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Introducing Jacks Giant ( Jack's Giant )

Post by Dave Brown »

An update on Jack :wink: He's been growing slowly over the spring but I've kept him in a small pot to avoid any rot overwinter as I only have the one. Today he was repotted so hopefully will release some new growth potential. Admitedly not huge..... yet, but we'll see. :D
Attachments
010609 Jacks Giant.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by AndrewBird »

Very nice icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft

How big of a giant does it grow to? :?: :?: and how fast.

Are they hardy please? :?: :?: :?:
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Thats looking in fine form Dave,can't wait to see how big these'll get over here :><:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

AndrewBird wrote:How big of a giant does it grow to? :?: :?: and how fast.

A = Big
B = Fast
c = killed to ground level but can come back

Thistopic has lotds of info, there is one reference to Jack's Giant
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by AndrewBird »

Dave Brown wrote:
AndrewBird wrote:How big of a giant does it grow to? :?: :?: and how fast.

A = Big
B = Fast
c = killed to ground level but can come back

Thistopic has lotds of info, there is one reference to Jack's Giant
Thank you Dave Brown. Ill read it now
icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Jack was planted out on 9th June and was fairly slow to get going. It has now started to increase size, but at this point it is not as fast as Wilkos Mammoth. July has been warm here so we'll just have to wait and see how it fairs over the whole season. :wink:

SteveW, There are 2 pups forming, I need to keep one as insurance but I'll let you have the other when I divide it, so will probably be October. I was told they are not prolific puppers, and to leave the pup in place to bulk up or they can fade away once removed. :wink:
Attachments
310709 Colcasia Jacks Giant.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

I want 1 they get real big you see some huge aroids in florida real nice.
Attachments
Jacks_Giant.jpg
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Thanks Dave,thats made my day matey icon_thumleft
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Dave - do you know how big the leaves can get on your Colocasia esculenta 'Jack's Giant' yet? I measured my Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant' today and the latest leaf is measuring in at over a meter. icon_cheers
Colocasia gigantea 'Thai Giant'
Attachments
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

No idea John, but the first pup now has a bigger leaf than the parent. Not measured it, but looks iro 45cm atm. Just measured the largest Wilko Mammoth in the back garden and the lastest leaf is 89cm (35inches) :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Finally got into the jungle to measure the Jack's Giant leaves. My plants are only about a year old and I don't think the summer is long or warm enough to get over 1m in yearling pups here. The Mammoth ones seem to need less heat so can grown from a small pup to 80-90cm leaves in a season. Jack's Giant looks like it will require a second year plant to get the monster leaves I saw on Steve in DC's plant last year.

I have just measured the leaves and they are 62 and 64cm at the moment. Maybe next year :wink:
Attachments
040909 Jacks Giant 01.jpg
040909 Jacks Giant 02.jpg
040909 Jacks Giant 03.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

My jacks went to the wrong house i got it now ,Has to pups on it when it turned up The leaves looked a bit sad but its grown a new leaf now.