kentgardener

Re: Who's got a whopper - lol

Post by kentgardener »

How come no-one has said how nice I look behind my leaf? :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

John, the leaf is so big they thought you'd gone under cover. You can just imagine it :lol: Oi, there's a man hiding in our Colocasia :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

sorry john,thought youd cut and pasted phil mitchell in there,great pic mate icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Melissa

Post by Melissa »

kentgardener wrote:How come no-one has said how nice I look behind my leaf? :lol:
Aaahh John, everyone knows you look wonderful, so don't feel left out :wink:

Melissa
jezza

Post by jezza »

kentgardener wrote:How come no-one has said how nice I look behind my leaf? :lol:
I think you'd be a bit concerned if i said you look nice behind your leaf :lol:
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

But I didn't get a hubba hubba :lol:
weve

Post by weve »

Hi all
Slightly off the topic of big leaves (brilliant pix BTW) but aroid related, so I hope its ok.

I'm a total aroid novice, having bought my first specimen, (labelled Colcasias gigantea), last spring from Desert to Jungle. I've planted it out in a very sheltered spot, and it seems to be doing well, but will i need to lift for the winter (in Torbay) ? And about how big do the leaves get, (Is this the same plant as mammoth? I don't seem to find gigantea or gigantia mentioned much in the archive).

Also I bought an unlabelled aroid from the houseplant section in Focus, but it looks exactly like the pic of Alocasia calidora, if so is this very tender? Should I lift?

(Would take & post pics but hurricane and monsoons here at the moment!)

regards
weve

PS Whilst I'm posting, just like to say, if at any time I disappear mid thread, please don't think i'm being rude or ignoring posts, but sometimes I have to work away (sometimes for weeks) leaving at very short notice and as i have no laptop or mobile internet, I cannot post until I return home. Thanks for your understanding!
themes

Post by themes »

kentgardener wrote:But I didn't get a hubba hubba :lol:
hubba hubbas can not be induced. they have to come naturally. The leaf was not revealing enough :lol:

you can have a wowser instead :lol:
Danny Thomas

Post by Danny Thomas »

I wouldnt worry Kentgardener, most of the members on here are men anyway :lol:. The girls are more restrained lol.
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

jezza will give you a hubba hubba he likes a bit of the other :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

weve wrote:Hi all
Slightly off the topic of big leaves (brilliant pix BTW) but aroid related, so I hope its ok.

I'm a total aroid novice, having bought my first specimen, (labelled Colcasias gigantea), last spring from Desert to Jungle. I've planted it out in a very sheltered spot, and it seems to be doing well, but will i need to lift for the winter (in Torbay) ? And about how big do the leaves get, (Is this the same plant as mammoth? I don't seem to find gigantea or gigantia mentioned much in the archive).
I've not had a Gigantea, but many Colocasia are quite hardy if you can keep them dryish. Gigantea is not the same as Mammoth, as mommoth seems to be a type of Colocasia esculenta. The problem for most people is that they re-emerge in late May or June which is quite late, but mammoth in particular emerges early and is fast growing during the summer.
weve wrote: Also I bought an unlabelled aroid from the houseplant section in Focus, but it looks exactly like the pic of Alocasia calidora, if so is this very tender? Should I lift?

(Would take & post pics but hurricane and monsoons here at the moment!)

regards
weve
!
Alocasia if left out over winter are killed to ground level like colocasia but are much slower to emerge er, and are much slower growing so I would not attempt to overwinter outside now. They are cold tolerant so will remain in leaf down to -2C or so, but have to be dry :wink:

What's all this Hubba hubba :lol: Fred Flintstone with a cough :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ElTel »

Hubba hubba hubba everyone

weve

Post by weve »

Thanks for the info, Dave

Much appreciated!