Colocasia Mojito

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Colocasia Mojito

Post by Dave Brown »

Jon Boy wrote:Dave,

Any idea why these have completely disappeared from the UK market??

They came from nowhere two/three years ago, with suddenly everyone stocking them, to being impossible to get in 2011/12. Do you think the plant exporters tend to push a particular plant for a time, or is it the suppliers not re-stocking as the majority didn't survive the winter (mine rotted also).

I guess it's more a question for Simon or Liz, but I'm intrigued why some plants come and go like they do.

Jon
These came from the US and talking to Liz Brown of Urban Jungle at the weekend, she said words to the effect of... awaiting the arrival is a tense and nervous time. DEFRA hold on to plants for far too long, and seem to put obstacles in the way. When you get the plugs they are not in best condition due to the length of time in transit.

As Mojito is NOT a vigorous grower, I imagine they will not likely survive a long time in a box. Small Mojito sit there doing nothing for ages even when healthy, so after 2 weeks in the dark they are probably on the verge of giving up. Also as they do not romp away many small pups removed will go the same way.

I have been asked to divide my clump several times, but as it is so slow to recover I have resisted it so far. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:I thought it was about time for another update.

Plant Delights say that Mojito is not a strong grower and reached no more than 3ft for them (in better summers than we have)

Anyway here is mine today

Wow that's the best I've ever seen! Looks amazing. Is it outside all the time now?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote: Wow that's the best I've ever seen! Looks amazing. Is it outside all the time now?
Yes, it's been outside all of July as well :ahhh!:

Thanks Kris :D I started the daily warm water with dilute feed every 2nd or 3rd day, the last week of July, so been just over 3 weeks. It started to buck up within a week, and now has new leaves coming all the time on the 4 main stems :wink:

I think the secret with this Coli is as little disturbance as possible, and warm, wet compost.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Dave......this may sound stupid but most people use an outside tap.....the amount of warm water you say you use surely its not all from the kitchen sink ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Codfather wrote:Dave......this may sound stupid but most people use an outside tap.....the amount of warm water you say you use surely its not all from the kitchen sink ?
In warm or sunny weather I use a paddling pool or 100 ltr tub. tap water is about 22C here at the moment, so only needs raising another 10C or so.

In the cool, wet weather of July the kitchen tap was the only option :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

It would take ages............for me here....the I would have to use the kitchen tap all the time :(
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Codfather wrote:It would take ages............for me here....the I would have to use the kitchen tap all the time :(
took me 1/2 to 3/4 hour per day, but you get into a routine.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I've not tried using warm water on plants before but may try on a couple next year.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I've not tried using warm water on plants before but may try on a couple next year.
You don't need to do it to all plants, just pick one you would like to see big, and give it a go :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

:lol: yeh, all of them as my garden is so new.
AKA - Martin

Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Here's the little mojito i was gifted a few weeks ago. Opened a new leaf overnight. It only stands about 8" or so above the pot at the moment but he's growing and looks very healthy, thats the main thing...........
Colocasia Mojito
Colocasia Mojito
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

figured since I'm new I should add to whatever posts are here already.. I know there alot easier to come by here in the states but the plant delights description was about right for us.. I have had these out since june and there a little over a foot. They have put on many new leafs but not height I'll def have to change up the soil/food mix next year since I have seen some in greenhouse that are very large

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

How have yours done Mike? They are not the most vigorous as I've said before.

Mine is starting to bulk up now so will ramp up the feeding. I have still not divided it for fear of terminally setting it back.
Attachments
2013-06-20 18-36-32 Colocasia Mojito.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by miketropic »

well Dave mine are..strange. I will post a pic later today ( heading to Brians in a few ). When it came back out this year it is growing faster than it did before but the color is crappe.. the black flecks are so light its hard to see them and the stem is almost white. same plant just dosent look at all the same this time around. it is in alot more sun this year but I still don't think it should look like that. I am trying to find a black marble to see which ones the keeper...pics of it when I return...and pics of my new colocasia as well! icon_thumleft.. yours are a much much deeper green than mine and the black is darker a well
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

you can see from these pics the difference. a few friends have noticed the same thing..hen I looked at some of Brians he had for sale exact opposite..some had solid black leaves, half black, very dark markings..puzzling.