Alocasia and colocasia (Planting out)

sanatic1234

Alocasia and colocasia (Planting out)

Post by sanatic1234 »

Has anybody decided to plant out there alocasia or colocasia's yet? I am just in the middle of creating a new boarder in my rear garden and am thinking about planting these out in it. Along with my eucomis bicolour.
Bob

Re: Alocasia and colocasia (Planting out)

Post by Bob »

San
The few small collies that I've bought on the net have been planted out for a few weeks, but have only just this week started to put on some growth. A calidora overwintered badly by me is still in the greenhouse with a few tiny shoots and really taking it's time. icon_aaargh
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hi bob. My Alocasia is a calidora about 25cm's in height and my Colocasia - black magic is just over 1ft in height. So i am guessing it will be ok to plant out then if yours have been out for a few weeks now. :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

San I have put my Colicasia mammoth, and Jack's Giant outside and they have stopped dead. They get going later in the month and take off in July. from July to October they go from tiny to giant :wink: Black Magic is the worst to get going and if we have cool weather will stop dead and may rot off. I keep mine in a water feature in the conservatory, where they get quite big. Black Magic is happiest at 30C, so don't be surprised if it does not do well outside.

Alocasia need to dry out between watering unless very warm, so don't water every day. They like very well drained compost as must have oxygen at the roots. :wink:

Also see here for Colocasia watering
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Thanks for that information dave. :) I did read somewhere that colocasia was classed as a bog plant. I didnt know that about the alocasia. I will lay of the watering for a good few days now as I have been watering at 30c for a good week now everyday. :oops: