Colocasia Black Beauty v Black Magic and Illustris

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Colocasia Black Beauty v Black Magic and Illustris

Post by Dave Brown »

Over the years many people were mesmorised by the beauty of Colocasia Black Magic, but you constantly hear stories of woe, about how to make it grow well, and overwinter it in a UK climate, and it certainly is one of the most challenging Colocasia for UK growers. I have found it does best in a consevatory water feature where it gets the heat it loves with enough water and humidity to keep Res Spider Mite under control. :wink:
110807 Black Magic.jpg
Colocasia Illustris is a green stemmed, green veined black leaf Colocasia but is also very fussy in a UK climate. I doesn't need the heat of Black Magic, but needs high humidity to stay in good condition. I found this to suffer from Red Spider Mite even outside. The only place it did well was in the edge of the pond as a marginal, but then needs to be drier when weather is cool. This also is not the easiest of Colocasia to overwinter.
Colocasia Illustris 2.jpg
Colocasia Black Beauty, which is very similar to Illustris but with darker green veins, on the other hand seems to grow well in a UK summer. It is not quite as large as Black Magic and Illustris, but more than makes up for this with growth even in coolish summer weather. Although this also has not survived left planted out over winter, the winters we have had while trying, have not been nornmal in terms of cold. I have found it easier over overwinter growing than either Black Magic or Illustris.
270808 Colocasia Black Beauty.jpg
20100626 Coli Black Beauty.jpg
To me C Black Beauty is a winner in the UK icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Colocasia Black Beauty v Black Magic and Illustris

Post by SteveW »

Dave,If you get a spare pup of this do you fancy a swop?
I've currnetly got a greenhiouse full of pink chinas,formosanas and giganteas all awaiting me getting round to selling on ebay
The pink chinas proving to be as hardy here as gaoligonensis and the formosanas the crug octopus plant.Haven't tried it out over winter yet as it was me only plant last year,but they're very prolific once they get going.The ones I planted out recently are running already 8)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Colocasia Black Beauty v Black Magic and Illustris

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Steve, I may have a pup in the next few weeks. I can certainly see why it is called Black Beauty :wink: It is growing a new leaf about every 5 days atm icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright