Colocasia Elepaio

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Colocasia Elepaio

Post by Dave Brown »

I have just received Colocasia Elepaio from Amulree and looks like it may be a a very striking Collie. They have green leaves but paint splashed white markings which are variable and can be as much as half the leaf white.

This seems to originate from Hawaii, so is not likely to be very hardy, although Dave's Garden rates it as Zone 8a in the US. I would not suggest leaving outside overwinter as UK cold/wet combination will probably lead to rotting.

I have read reports that this should not be left in full sun, as, with many variegated plants, the white bits burn and crisp.

Is anyone else growing this :?: If so what is your experience :?:

C. Elepaio
Attachments
2010-09-07 14-41-20 Colocasia ele paio.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Colocasia Ele Paio

Post by Jon Boy »

Dave,

I'm growing Ele Paio this year, it's at the base of a small clump of basjoo, so is fairly shaded. It's bulked up well since I bought it at the end of May and it's still putting out new leaves despite the drop in temperature recently.

I'm undecided how to overwinter it, I will be lifting it for sure, but I haven't decided whether to let it go dormant (never have much success with this method) or whether to try to keep it ticking over in the house during the winter months.

I also have Mojito and am undecided how to over-winter that also.

Jon
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Colocasia Elepaio

Post by Dave Brown »

This is what Plant delights say
Colocasia esculenta 'Elepaio' is named after the rare Hawaiian flycatcher bird. This very rare, 30" tall elephant ear is one of the classic old Hawaiian cultivars. Colocasia 'Elepaio' makes a small, 3' tall clump of green foliage that is heavily spotted with white paint-like flecks. This unstable chimeral variegation pattern often results in some leaves that are half green and half white. This is a true curiosity and what we call a "fun" plant for the garden. (Hardiness Zone 8a-10)

Jon Boy
As it is of Hawaiian origin this may be one of the less hardy, and I think I will go for the sunny kitchen windowsill. It can drip without upsetting the wife (ruining furniture :roll: ) and will be a min of 10C with 25C on sunny days. From Nov to early Feb the sun will not be strong enough to damage the white parts of the leaves :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Somerset77 »

I saw this thread so thought id get a pic of my little baby one on here, which is doing really well underneath my T-Rex and tree fern.
It gets the very slightest bit of sun around 4pm ish but not enough to affect it.
Attachments
IMG_1371.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Somerset77 wrote:
It gets the very slightest bit of sun around 4pm ish but not enough to affect it.
According to plant delights this needs full sun to be it's best. and the variegated bits don't seem to burn. The diabolical spring saw the main rhizome on mine rot, and they are a bit finnicky when small. Trying to build it up again but not a patch on last year.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Somerset77 »

Dave Brown wrote:
Somerset77 wrote:
According to plant delights this needs full sun to be it's best. and the variegated bits don't seem to burn. The diabolical spring saw the main rhizome on mine rot, and they are a bit finnicky when small. Trying to build it up again but not a patch on last year.
Mine seems ok where it is and is starting another leaf. Will see how it fares this year and poss try full sun next year. :D

Dave how did you overwinter yours? Did you keep it going with minimal watering? Or should I treat as black magic and black beauty?
redflash

Post by redflash »

Hi,
here is my "elpaio".

Andreas
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

redflash wrote:Hi,
here is my "elpaio".

[ Image ]

Andreas

anymore garden pics, some of the whole thing? Like those rocks behind there.
redflash

Post by redflash »

Hi,
here new pics, 6 weeks after my first post.

Andreas