What Colocasia are you growing ? List them here

Dave Brown
Site Admin

What Colocasia are you growing ? List them here

Post by Dave Brown »

I wandered around the garden and conservatory last weekend, and took a note of all the collies I have and the numbers. I thought I had lost loads last winter but most came back. and those I did actually lose I have replaced.

Let's compare what we are growing and how you think they have done in 2010

Colocasia
Black Beauty clump of 10
Black Magic clump of 13
Burgundy Stem x 1
Dark Stem Hybrid x 1
Elepaio x 1
Fontenesii Clump of 6
Gaolagonensis x 7
Hawaiian Eye x 1
Jack's Giant x 3
Mammoth x 16
Mojito x 1
Pink China x 1
Remusatia ( not a collie, but very similar) 2 trays (about 20 plants)

A few pics, I'll take some more over the next few days :wink:
Attachments
2010-09-09 0167 Colocasia Mojito 01.jpg
2010-09-12 16-26-34 Colocasia mammoth.jpg
2010-09-03 11-42-30 Colocasia Mammoth clump.jpg
2010-09-09 0163 Colocasia Elepaio.jpg
2010-09-09 0181 Remusatia.jpg
2010-09-10 14-48-02 Black Beauty.jpg
2010-09-09 0177  Colocasia goalagongensis.jpg
2010-09-09 0155 Colocasia Pink China.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: What Colocasia are you growing ?

Post by Nigel Fear »

Nice pics Dave. icon_thumright

Which ones from that list of your collection would you say are most suitable for overwintering in-situ?

I'm trying C.Gaolioganensis this year, and have been impressed with it's growth.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

gaolagongensis just gets on with it, but seem to prefer shade.

Pink China is new for me, but SteveW says it is as hardy as gaolagonensis for him.

Mammoth has come back every year since planted survivng winters 2008/9 and 2009/10 :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Dale »

I've got growing Burgundy Stem (for the last two seasons) - I'm gonna try and keep it going his winter to try and see if I can get near the dizzying hieghts of the one you achieved - Colocasia Escualenta - Culm purchased from Hymalayan Gardens which grew into one of my favourite plants this summer - majestic shield like leaves at the front of the border!

Great pics Dave - keep them coming - probably my favourite plant alongside alocasias - I'm gonna be studying hard your tips on overwintering!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: What Colocasia are you growing ? List them here

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Dale, yes Burgundy stem can get quite large when fed and watered well. Here was mine from 31st October 2005 with the kids.
Monster Colocasia and Kids.jpg

Aidan was over 6 feet at that time. :lol:
It was in a 15in (37.5cm) tub, in a tray of water. kept in the warmest part of the garden and moved into shelter on cold autumn nights. Was watered daily with 30C water to help keep soil temps ups, and fed dilute (half strength) Miracle-gro every other day. :wink:

All Colocasia seem to grow better in the autumn, rather than the summer for me, getting the largest leaves in October. I think it is the higher humidity that gives them a boost. In summer the humidity is too low for good growth.

Here is Jack's Giant back in July.... must get a more up to date pic
20100725 Colocasia Jacks Giant 01.jpg
Here Black Magic in July in the water feature, baked in the conservatory.
20100725 Colocasia Black Magic.jpg
Unfortunately Colocasia Black Magic, does the Colocasia family no favours at all :roll: It is the most fussy, needs higher heat, but is the most popular. It is bought by the 1000, and then people dismiss Colocasia as not growable in the UK.... Definately no so. It is like wanting palms, trying to grow a Coconut, then saying palms won't grow here :lol:

To me a far, far, better Black Colocasia is Black Beauty, which is a sport of Illustris.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jezza »

Just the one mojito
mojito.jpg
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Got quite a few to listso here goes
gaoligonensis
formosana
pink china
gigantea
gigantea giant Thai strain
burgundy stem
mojito
elepaio
Hilo beauty
mammoth(wilco)
mammoth(focus)
unknown,but probably the same as the focusmammoth
Did have a lot more before last winter,but they got wiped out :roll:
I'm pretty sure mojito and elepaio won't stand a chance out in the greenhouse this year so they may be coming indoors if I can find somewhere for them to go
Jon Boy

Post by Jon Boy »

Mojto

Ele Paio

Fontanescii
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Great healthy looking Collies Jon Boy icon_thumright
SteveW wrote: I'm pretty sure mojito and elepaio won't stand a chance out in the greenhouse this year so they may be coming indoors if I can find somewhere for them to go
The Elepaio has this said by Plant Delights
Colocasia esculenta 'Elepaio' is named after the rare Hawaiian flycatcher bird. This very rare, 30" tall elephant ear is one of the classic old Hawaiian cultivars. Colocasia 'Elepaio' makes a small, 3' tall clump of green foliage that is heavily spotted with white paint-like flecks. This unstable chimeral variegation pattern often results in some leaves that are half green and half white. This is a true curiosity and what we call a "fun" plant for the garden. (Hardiness Zone 8a-10)

The important bit is the hardiness zone is much higher than most Collies, so the Hawaiian background may play a part.
My Elepaio today
2010-09-17 12-05-38 Colocasia Elepaio.jpg
On the contrary Mojito is a sport of Burgundy Stem so may be more hardy.
2010-09-17 12-07-14 Colicasia Mojito.jpg
Plant Delights says
Colocasia esculenta 'Mojito' PPAF (pronounced Mo-he-toe) is a sport of Colocasia 'Burgundy Stem' via Colocasia 'Black Marble', discovered at Florida's Agristarts. Named after the popular Cuban mixed drink, the amazing leaves are medium green with dark purple flecks throughout ... just too cool! Since this clone has less vigor than many others, you can expect the clump to only reach 3', less in drier sites. Although winter-hardy in Zone 7b, the central tuber will often die in the low teens F, so to get larger-sized plants, mulch well in winter to save the central tuber. (Hardiness Zone 7b-10)

Colocsasia Mammoth was quite late coming back after the bad winter, but is catching up a bit now.
2010-09-17 11-57-24 Colocasia Mammoth 01.jpg
Colocasia Jack's Giant
2010-09-17 11-59-52 Colocasia Jacks Giant.jpg
Colocasia Fontanesii
2010-09-17 12-01-38 Colocsasia Fontanesii.jpg
Anyone interested in Colocasia might be interested in this article by the Plant Delights people
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

Some great pictures Dave i love these plants the colours are mad you have a great collection.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

Black Magic, I got it at Akamba as a seedling, its really done well it has leaves about 30cm long and 20cm wide, it grown quite well really, even with our average summer.

Mine actually has loads of pups now, I guess you leave them to grow as part of the main plant? Its going to be tricky getting it through the winter so it might just have to start again next year from the roots!
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Dave Brown wrote:I wandered around the garden and conservatory last weekend, and took a note of all the collies I have and the numbers. I thought I had lost loads last winter but most came back. and those I did actually lose I have replaced.

Let's compare what we are growing and how you think they have done in 2010

Colocasia
Black Beauty clump of 10
Black Magic clump of 13
Burgundy Stem x 1
Dark Stem Hybrid x 1
Elepaio x 1
Fontenesii Clump of 6
Gaolagonensis x 7
Hawaiian Eye x 1
Jack's Giant x 3
Mammoth x 16
Mojito x 1
Pink China x 1
Remusatia ( not a collie, but very similar) 2 trays (about 20 plants)

A few pics, I'll take some more over the next few days :wink:
Dave,

You get a very nice collection of them! About better growth in autumn due to humdity, I gues it has to do with the fact that in the wild you always see them at wet or at least permanent moist places. Colocasia esculenta often grows in ditches, allong paddyfields and along streams. Others grow on places with seepage. You never see them on dry soils.

Bassically they are bogplants of nutriend rich habitads! Some in full sun, others grow under trees in partial shade.

Alexander
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Alexander,

My collies are kept wet all summer, but don't grow to the same size as in autumn.

My theory..... not proven
Could be humidity levels higher, or something about day length, all coupled with temperature. These are tropical plants and maybe prefer an equal day/night (1/2, 1/2), rather than the 2/3, 1/3 of June :wink:

Even when I kept collies going overwinter, they get smaller as light levels/temps fall over winter, but don't regain the size again until late summer/autumn, even from a larger rhizome :roll:

3 factors that may affect growth are Temp/Day length, light level/Humidity

Winter = cold/short day, low light/humid = small leaf, slow growth
Spring = cool/equal day, medium light/dry = medium leaf, medium growth
Summer = warm/long day, bright light/dry = medium leaf, fast growth
Autumn = warmish/equal day, medium light/humid= large leaf, medium growth

My conclusion from that would be...
Temp = growth rate.
light level = leaf size (too dark/too light =equals smaller)
humidity = plant happiness/health

The problem we have at this latitude is that we need exposure to sun to get the warmth in spring/early summer, this result in growth but only medium sized leaves. However, we manage to get warmth with lower light levels in late summer autumn, this gives medium growth and larger leaves. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I like the Theory Dave.

I have
Colocasia (Normal)
Black Beauty clump
Black Magic
Burgundy Stem 5 or 6 good sized plants. One about 5ft tall
Dark Stem Hybrid is this actually the same as the above?
Fontenesii Clump x 2
Jack's Giant 5 or 6 big plants
Mojito 1 clump
Pink China 1 clump
Ruffles 1
gigantea (funny pale green colour is this normal??)
Had lots of Wilkos mammouth but tried to over winter them dry and they all rotted a couple of years ago! Lean't my lesson and had overwintered them in the ground the year before they rotted so would do the same if I could ever get hold of any more.

I will keep all my collies growing over winter in my green house and try to keep the damn red spider mites in check.

Some pics to follow this week...
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

SteveW wrote:Got quite a few to listso here goes
gaoligonensis
formosana
pink china
gigantea
gigantea giant Thai strain
burgundy stem
mojito
elepaio
Hilo beauty
mammoth(wilco)
mammoth(focus)
unknown,but probably the same as the focusmammoth
Did have a lot more before last winter,but they got wiped out :roll:
I'm pretty sure mojito and elepaio won't stand a chance out in the greenhouse this year so they may be coming indoors if I can find somewhere for them to go
Pretty much the same list here, as Steve lives a few miles from me and we are always swapping spare plants.

(and after today I think there are a few more on the list as we both ended up spending money we didn't have on some new special ones we spotted :lol: Just got to keep them alive through the winter now....)